advertisement

Charlottesville/"alt-right"/American fascism

According to the Metro Charlottesville was full of a heavily armed white supremacist militia. They chanted "Blood and soil," a racist phrase used by the Nazis.

Charles P. Pierce says in Esquire that anybody who followed the Presidential campaign saw what happened in Charlottesville coming. It is the bleakest moment for America in his lifetime.

Trump is enabling the armed rise of the white supremacists.

Jack

you mean anti-fascist in the sense of being against people overtly into nazi symbolism, not those who are at ease with corporatist states and ideologies, which describes most people here. cars, olympics and the glories of subjugating operating systems.

vuk.

According to The Bible (the OED) "fascism" is defined as "(loosely) any form of right-wing authoritarianism" - I confess to having difficulty in fitting "corporatist states and ideologies ... cars, olympics and the glories of subjugating operating systems" into that definition.

http://newsthump.com/2017/08/13/dri...rrorism-if-driver-is-brown-confirms-us-media/

Newsthump on point:

"The US media has confirmed that driving a car into people you don’t like with an intent to hurt them is only terrorism if the driver is brown and follows a religion you don’t like.

After 20-year-old James Fields was arrested on suspicion of second-degree murder just hours after attending a right-wing ‘Unite the Right’ rally in Charlottesville, the media has been quick to avoid using the term ‘terrorist’."

...Imagine if ISIS were recruiting like these far-right Christian terrorist groups get away with on a daily basis?

According to The Bible (the OED) "fascism" is defined as "(loosely) any form of right-wing authoritarianism" - I confess to having difficulty in fitting "corporatist states and ideologies ... cars, olympics and the glories of subjugating operating systems" into that definition.

I think today the term refers to anyone to the right of the floppy left. :D

Jack

It's the armed bit that makes the American fascists so uniquely dangerous (the same with Trump and his control of the nuclear arsenal). There are an estimated 300 million guns in private hands in the US. 300 million guns.

Here's a few at the weekend...

DHFfMGmUMAIAFyN.jpg

The Trumpers could easily rustle up a well-equipped army numbering many hundreds of thousands, maybe millions.

If things turn really ugly, I'm not sure a nation could survive with that level of destruction available in every town.

Look, as Vuk said this isn't the place for nuanced arguments, it's clear you're petrified in case anyone accuses you of hosting anti-Semitism, and to be frank you use me as the whipping boy when others sail close to the wind in that regard, because I'm an easy target - something that will clearly not change, and that I do not like one little bit - so I think it's better if I take my thoughts and debate them elsewhere.

All the best.

P.S. some trolls will be delighted, and I'm happy for them.

See you next month then max. The place will be a bit duller without your contributions.

According to the Metro Charlottesville was full of a heavily armed white supremacist militia. They chanted "Blood and soil," a racist phrase used by the Nazis.

Charles P. Pierce says in Esquire that anybody who followed the Presidential campaign saw what happened in Charlottesville coming. It is the bleakest moment for America his lifetime.

Jack

Completely. Maybe Trump thought he could use hatred and bigotry to get into the White House and then pretend that the inevitable violence had nothing to do with him. One good outcome is that the Republicans will now begin to see him as more toxic than ever and if Mueller comes up with the barest shred of evidence he will be impeached. I'd settle down with a takeaway and a few beers to watch that :)

As I said before though, I think the media has to question its role in all of this. Going for the most sensational click bait stories gives extremists a platform to spread their ideaology. Apparently more people in the US drowned in their own bathtub last year than were killed by terrorists but the constant media attention has elevated the terrorist threat to a ridiculous extent. This has generated hatred of whole communities and paradoxiclly may have helped to spread the extremist message. I hope the same doesn't happen with the facists.

You have to understand that in Vuk's world only he is allowed to capitalise from knowledge or labour, everyone else must give themselves freely to some utopian pipe dream. He can sell the software he writes, yet Apple, Microsoft, Google etc can't. He can sell his photographs, Time Warner, Fox or whoever can't. Ad infinitum. Any business bigger or more successful than his is inherently fascist/corporate/authoritarian. Olympics? Fascism. Gambling on horses? Fine apparently.

PS No, I don't understand either!

PPS As a Patent Attorney you are the antiVuk, obvs.

Trump has just cleared up any lingering doubts over whether he will condemn...

"Merck CEO Kenneth Frazier resigned Monday from the president's American Manufacturing Council in protest of President Donald Trump's response to white supremacist violence in Charlottesville." https://www.cnbc.com/2017/08/14/merck-ceo-resigns-from-trumps-american-manufacturing-council.html

And Trump has an immediate dig (compare with the delay on Charlottesville), but totally ignores the reason for the resignation https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/897079051277537280

DHMSjsdWAAAmh7k.jpg:large

http://newsthump.com/2017/08/13/dri...rrorism-if-driver-is-brown-confirms-us-media/

Newsthump on point:

"The US media has confirmed that driving a car into people you don’t like with an intent to hurt them is only terrorism if the driver is brown and follows a religion you don’t like.

After 20-year-old James Fields was arrested on suspicion of second-degree murder just hours after attending a right-wing ‘Unite the Right’ rally in Charlottesville, the media has been quick to avoid using the term ‘terrorist’."

...Imagine if ISIS were recruiting like these far-right Christian terrorist groups get away with on a daily basis?

He was white. It must have been a cry for help.

fascism has to be defined by philosophers, not dictionaries produced by imperialist cultures.

we covered all of this ages ago:
http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showthread.php?t=136520&highlight=fascism+sound+music

vuk.

Charles P. Pierce says in Esquire that anybody who followed the Presidential campaign saw what happened in Charlottesville coming. It is the bleakest moment for America in his lifetime.

Jack

I saw 27 heavily armed militia members marching early Sat, in a video. Don't know if there were more, but 27 is a fair bunch. These guys are trying to establish freedom of movement and action. We haven't seen much stuff like this since the post-civil-war violence in the South. Oh there were big clan marches in the 1920's, but they didn't have guns and stuff. They were practically mainstream then, just a big voting bloc.

They plan more and bigger 'Charlottesvilles.' They are building the capability to actually do the uprising Trump predicted if Mueller 'goes too far.'

Trump has just cleared up any lingering doubts over whether he will condemn...

"Merck CEO Kenneth Frazier resigned Monday from the president's American Manufacturing Council in protest of President Donald Trump's response to white supremacist violence in Charlottesville." https://www.cnbc.com/2017/08/14/merck-ceo-resigns-from-trumps-american-manufacturing-council.html

And Trump has an immediate dig (compare with the delay on Charlottesville), but totally ignores the reason for the resignation https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/897079051277537280

DHMSjsdWAAAmh7k.jpg:large

One of Trump's more pathetic attempts to deflect and divert attention away from the main issue. SAD!

advertisement

Back