advertisement

Charlottesville/"alt-right"/American fascism

I think they want a Caliphate similarly to murderous leftists mob in Berkeley who also wants a Caliphate .
What I don't understand is why the Taliban is so set on removing the Statues from public spaces ??

Can you rephrase this into something more coherent?

What I don't understand is why the Taliban is so set on removing the Statues from public spaces ??

I think they are symbols of The Lost Cause, as Confederate sympathisers like to style it - the mythology that the Confederacy was a fine and noble institution, brought low by grubby, money-grabbing Northerners with no idea of the finer points of life. I once had an earnest, entirely respectable gentleman explain to me that the War for Southern Independence (as he termed it) had nothing to do with slavery, but with the repressive trade policies levied by the Northern states. He clearly had never read (or didn't want to read) the individual declarations of secession by the Southern states, all of which mentioned slavery as a reason (in some cases, the only reason) for secession.

The rash of memorials to Confederate causes started late in the 19th century as the North relaxed its grip on the South, even to the point of ignoring the start of the Jim Crow laws to keep blacks (now nominally having the rights of everyone else) in what was seen as their proper place.

These memorials should never have been erected in the first place. There's no doubt that the Confederates fought with great skill and bravery with limited resources, and that Robert E. Lee was a Christian gentleman in the best sense of both words (he personally detested slavery and had freed all his slaves), but the cause for which they fought was repugnant then and is even more so now. Put 'em all in a museum for the Civil War, not on public display where they act as a reminder of a very inglorious past - and an encouragement for the sort of ugliness that has again raised its head.

The thing that has been achieved by these knuckle-draggers is to ensure the Confederate flag and German Nazi symbol are now viewed as interchangable the world over. There is no respectable reason to display either. The likes of Britain First, EDL, BNP, NF etc have all tried to steal the Union Flag and George Cross for their racist fascism in the same manner, though have thankfully not entirely suceeded yet.

the Confederate flag

I always thought that the "stars and bars" Confederate battle flag (it appeared around 1863, when it was decided that the originally-used Confederate flag too closely mimicked the US flag) was a particularly attractive flag. Pity about the associations.

It's interesting that David Frum and most of the rest of the extreme right-wing Neocons and Republican politicians have condemned what happened in Charlottesville in the strongest possible terms, and obviously rightly so, yet Frum was once involved with a guy called Ezra Levant as both tried to unite the right in Canada as they sought to merge the smaller right-wing political parties into one right-wing bloc.

Levant is the founder of Rebel Media, which is a Canadian-based far-right Islamophobic organisation with a YouTube channel - on which Tommy Robinson is a presenter - with over 850,000 subscribers, many of whom identify as alt-right, and supported the Charlottesville protest.

Levant is Jewish, and a big supporter of Israel. In fact he strongly criticised Obama during his first term for not visiting Israel, yet he is providing a platform which while used to spread hatred of Muslims - probably his primary goal - is also uniting people with deep anti-Semitic views. David Duke for example was at Charlottesville, mingling with the alt-righters, doing video blogs etc, and they were chanting anti-Semitic slogans there.

Have people like him, with creating hatred of Muslims in mind, helped to unleash Neo-Nazism too?

Just do what merlin does and put me on your 'ignore' list.
Oh no, I like to see what you say.

Why not debate the topic now. Do some research, as I have, into what's going on out in the US in terms of this alt-right crowd. Educate yourself a little.

Have people like him, with creating hatred of Muslims in mind, helped to unleash Neo-Nazism too?

Trump is the physical embodiment of the "alt-right" hence his inability to distance himself from the repugnant racism and nationalism that helped get him elected. He also grew up in a family with a KKK terrorist at its centre. It is understandable that many in the Republican party, realising this is now a PR disaster, are trying to distance themselves from the racism and far-right ideology which now permeates the party, though with fascist shite like Steve Banon still present it will be a tough call. That is the size of it, and I'd leave your own anti-Israel fanaticism and entrenched hatred out of it as it as it is, as usual, a conspiracy too far.

PS If I were you I'd be far more embarrassed about buying into the Trump/Banon/Breitbart line in the first place. Many of us called these ugly people and entities correctly from the start, and for us Charlottesville is sadly no surprise at all. This is what Trump is.

Trump is the embodiment of the "alt-right" hence his inability to distance himself from the racism and nationalism that helped get him elected. He also grew up in a family with a KKK terrorist at its centre. It is understandable that many in the Republican party, realising this is a PR disaster, are trying to distance themselves from the racism and far-right ideology which now permeates the party, though with fascist shite like Steve Banon still present it will be a tough call. That is the size of it, and I'd leave your own anti-Israel fanaticism and entrenched hatred out of it as it as it is, as usual, a conspiracy too far.

Why don't you do what I suggested Joe do and actually do some research?

That way you might be able to debate from a position of some sort of knowledge, as opposed to just shouting about Trump and Bannon - like the shitty ideology they believe in only arrived last November - and talking through your arse about conspiracy theories when plain evidence of the origins of the hate-filled YouTube channel that is one of the primary fonts of the alt-right is sitting on your forum for all to see.

With respect.

They're marching with swastikas (https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DHC1d25XkAAW1YB.jpg), but post #34 says we should see things from their point of view and post #48 says we should make sure we specifically find and expose the Jews for their part in this too.

Indeed. I was born less that twenty years after the Nazi death camps were active and I honestly never thought I'd see this shite rise again in my lifetime, let alone run a website where ugly apologists and revisionists crept out from under their rocks.

PS Just to be abundantly clear on the matter: pfm is an anti-fascist website. I will always stand firmly against this shit as I have all my adult life. Anyone who doesn't like that is not welcome here.

advertisement

Back