advertisement

Charlottesville/"alt-right"/American fascism

Tony L

Administrator
Sime remarkably ugly events in America yesterday. Probably deserves its own thread as whilst there is clearly a strong Trump connection it is a larger thing. It is clear American white supremacist terrorism such as the KKK never went away, but it looks like it has had a real boost from the so called "alt-right" rebranding of fascism and the huge lurch to the right under Trump. One woman was murdered and others injured when a far-right terrorist drove a car in to a crowd yesterday as violent racist scum took to the streets (Independent). A disturbing time, it really looks like this hateful crap from the past is coming back the world over, we certainly have it here with the EDL, Britain First, BNP etc.

Has The President tweeted anything about this one?

Has he taken 5 minutes out from his Saturday back-nine to speak to the press and denounce it?

Trump has failed to call these scumbags white supremacists, and has failed to call the car attack an act of white supremacist terror.

This is a far bigger threat to him than the Russian crap as everybody in public life and the media have condemned him for it, and these Neo-fascists aren't going away.

Either he gets on board and starts calling it what it is, and risks a huge backlash from all of these people - who support him, or he risks political isolation for not calling it all what it really is, and not condemning them for their views.

Either way, he's in deep shit.

They are his voters, he knows this, and he will turn a blind eye to their terrorist tendencies as with Trump it is always all about Trump.

They are his voters, he knows this, and he will turn a blind eye to their terrorist tendencies as with Trump it is always all about Trump.

Exactly, but he can't do that and survive politically IMO. I think he's going to have to choose, and it's a massive backlash either way.

Having said that if he does turn on the white supremacists they'll probably agree that he doesn't really mean it and continue to support him anyway, so I expect that's what he'll gamble on.

Hindsight is a great thin of course, but there was/is a certain inevitability to these kind of things with Trump's general stance. Only the timing and magnitude at question I guess.

Interesting to see how he plays it.

Here is what Trump has said:

"We condemn in the strongest possible terms this egregious display of hatred, bigotry and violence, on many sides. On many sides. It's been going on for a long time in our country. Not Donald Trump, not Barack Obama. This has been going on for a long, long time."

Quite lame as to be expected, I have not heard him condemn the white supremacists or refer to them specifically.

The scenes were awful.

His response to the tragedy is pathetic, he needs to go.

To be fair, he's experimenting with longer words now. 'Egregious' is progress over 'bad', or 'very bad'. Pity he couldn't maintain the standard beyond the first sentence, though, he reverts quickly to more familiar vocabulary.

To be fair, he's experimenting with longer words now. 'Egregious' is progress over 'bad', or 'very bad'. Pity he couldn't maintain the standard for both sentences, though, he reverts at the end.

I think you'll find he was reading the more sesquipedalian of the words from an autocue, it's was his own work at the end.

So the Civil War never really ended, after 150+ years. Until yesterday I had never really connected the statues of confederate Civil War heroes and the "quaint" display of confederate flags with the ugly mental and cultural reality.

To think that Abraham Lincoln was the first Republican president.

But its not the end of Trump.... he'll just continue on, because actually most Americans ultimately appear to be indifferent to what happens to black people and white liberals somewhere else.

Virgin Media Ch 276: PBS America: 17:30 / 23:35 today, "Decoding Neanderthals."

Clearly on display yesterday in Charlottesville!

Subhumans don't deserve a place in civil society.

To be fair, he's experimenting with longer words now. 'Egregious' is progress over 'bad', or 'very bad'. Pity he couldn't maintain the standard beyond the first sentence, though, he reverts quickly to more familiar vocabulary.

Egregious sounds..so presidential. Someone told him to use it.

advertisement

Back