advertisement

Challenge From Harbeth - Free M40.1 For Those Who Can Identify Amplifier Differences

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting challenge, though does "incl. differences in frequency reponse and within the power range appropriate to the amps" indicate he expects any amps in the test to be EQ'd to some notion of "flat" via some form of additional signal processing? Quite some caveat if so.

FWIW In a straight level-matched real-world test between the diverse types of amps audiophiles actually tend to use, e.g. class B solid state, class A solid state, push pull tube and SET I'd expect to hear differences. I have certainly seen Harbs used with all this and more, so excluding or nobbling any particular type rather voids the whole thing IMO.

I did not see any type of amplifier being excluded. Assuming audiophiles like amps with a full frequency response and have a volume control, you are in with a chance to get yourself a large freebie.
Which ones would you choose?

Well, it is all my fault by daring to suggest that I could hear the difference between amps and CD players and that started the argument off all over again.

It's what I do and have done for forty years - I help people to hear differences between equipment and sell them (hopefully) what they like the sound of best. Sometimes differences are small/minute and sometimes much more significant and sometimes customers hear differences which they are not prepared to pay for. It's all good fun.

Well, it is all my fault by daring to suggest that I could hear the difference between amps and CD players and that started the argument off all over again.

It's what I do and have done for forty years - I help people to hear differences between equipment and sell them (hopefully) what they like the sound of best. Sometimes differences are small/minute and sometimes much more significant and sometimes customers hear differences which they are not prepared to pay for. It's all good fun.
Then take the test and get yourself some free speakers!

Tony, I must admit it seems inconceivable to me that one couldn't tell the difference but nevertheless no one has actually taken up the test. As you say it's a bit of fun in some ways and I have to respect Mr Shaw for laying down the gauntlet in an open fashion. It's good for the audio community.

As I keep saying, I'm up for the test. I want those Monitor 40's. What's with all this 'no-one is taking up the challenge' shtick?

As for Evil Emperor's anti-BBC speaker rant. I've had about 4 or 5 different amps through my Harbeths in the last few weeks. They don't just reveal subtle differences, but completely different philosophies of sound.

Interesting challenge, though does "incl. differences in frequency reponse and within the power range appropriate to the amps" indicate he expects any amps in the test to be EQ'd to some notion of "flat" via some form of additional signal processing? Quite some caveat if so.

FWIW In a straight level-matched real-world test between the diverse types of amps audiophiles actually tend to use, e.g. class B solid state, class A solid state, push pull tube and SET I'd expect to hear differences. I have certainly seen Harbs used with all this and more, so excluding or nobbling any particular type rather voids the whole thing IMO.

Response differences are in the vast majority of cases caused by output impedance variations. Nearly all SS amplifiers keep this low enough across the audible range that errors would be <0.1dB, and nearly all line stages will be similarly flat over the same range.

So I'd say that his test would apply to over 95% of amps in use.
Clearly some designs such as SET aren't going to meet the flat criteria, so he needs to tighten his rules a little IMO to exclude those.

The question of EQ is interesting. I mean, suppose a slightly iffy inexpensive amp were EQ'd flat and then sounded indistinguishable when compared to say an expensive Meridian or Krell running with no EQ?
That would open up a far more interesting argument IMO, because the expensive amplifier running flat should walk it. If it didn't........

But a good test, and I'm certain he'll win if challenged even when some marginal amplifiers are used. The history of such testing is firmly on his side.

These Monitor 40s, how much would a mint, never used pair fetch s/h?
S/H units are as rare as rocking horse manure.

Most people who get them tend to find that they really are "the last speaker you'll ever buy".

So a S/H pair on the market ought to get a very good price indeed.

Surely the point is to prove that Mr Shaw has it wrong. As a retailer, I would have thought that it would be in your interest to do so.

Not really.People come, listen and buy what they like the sound of.

Nothing to prove.

But a good test, and I'm certain he'll win if challenged even when some marginal amplifiers are used. The history of such testing is firmly on his side.
Totally agree - and also agree with your comments re SETs etc and the need to clarify the criteria. The challenge seems to have ruffled a few (preening, audiophile) feathers. Excellent all round.

really what is this test meant to prove?

That if you make 2 amps perform the same through his speakers at a particular volume level ( appropriate for the lower powered amp ) that they will sound the same?

Duh....

These are not the issues that effects most purchasers of amps, we have a variety of speakers, rooms sizes, source equipment, power supplies, source material, listening levels, sound preferences...etc etc

These are not the issues that effects most purchasers of amps, we have a variety of speakers, rooms sizes, source equipment, power supplies, source material, listening levels, sound preferences...etc etc
S'fundamental, actually. Think about it.

Predictable responses from the usual suspects...

The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world that amplifiers sounded different. And like that, poof. He's gone...

With apologies to the writers of the usual suspects

If I were in the UK I'd be interested in trying Alan's test, as I'd have nothing to lose* and potentially something rather spiffy to win.

Joe

* I lost what audiophile pride I had left when I preferred Rob's trouser press and 30-metre cable loom to a direct mains connection.

S'fundamental, actually. Think about it.

no, it just means if we make amps sound the same they sound the same.
Thats not rocket science...

The issues should be, can we make amps sound different, and if so, are there circumstances in which those difference would serve a purpose

Baz,

The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled off was burying all those bones to mislead the evolutionists. And, man, did they fall for it!

Joe

The usual shifty stuff. Either we can hear a difference or we can't. Of course there need to be careful conditions imposed, but what I seem to read is people who want to make claims but don't have the guts to test them. What is it the Ameicans say:? 'Put up or shut up.'
So who has the guts to take Harbeth on?

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back