1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Challenge From Harbeth - Free M40.1 For Those Who Can Identify Amplifier Differences

Discussion in 'audio' started by ryder, Apr 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Interzone

Interzone pfm Member

3 pairs take 2 days? So in 5 days 3x2.5=7.5 pairs a week on average which is pretty much 8! Am I missing something here?

2. Dinovector

Dinovector pfm Member

I suspect Lugbutz is more likely to be hosting the challenge rather than making it

3. Yank

Yank Bulbous Also Tapered

Then we might as well close all the audio forums, there's not much else left to discuss. Start with the DIY forum, why build anything electronic when you can buy a Behringer for less than the price of a good pair of heat sinks?

4. darrylfunk

darrylfunk Banned

some people like different stuff.....

5. Dinovector

Dinovector pfm Member

Can't close the forums, where the hell else are people going to go to throw dirt at Naim and Linn? :p

6. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

It all depends on the parameters of the test. I am certain that the amplifiers *that Harbeth owners typically use* do not always sound alike, though whether the test will represent the installed userbase is as yet unclear.

It may be interesting to list the amplifiers used by Harbeth owners here on pfm to establish diversity or lack thereof.

I've owned two pairs of Haerbeths; Compact 7ES and SHL5s. Over that time I used a Naim Nait 2, an A&R A60, a Densen Beat 100, a Prima Luna Prologue 2, a Quad 303, a Rega Brio and Rob's modified Quad 34/306.

7. Elephantears

Elephantears Trunkated Aesthete

Good idea - but shall we start a new thread so that its not lost in the blah.

8. regafan

regafan pfm Member

Interesting thread...
    Wonder how many extra pairs of speakers have been ordered since it started?
    Maybe it wasn't a marketing intention, but its sure taken off.
    And all this before the test and results.

9. John

John pfm Member

You must have really been deluding yourself during that stretch. Thank goodness that period has passed.

10. lugbutz

lugbutz Member

I like this... This is funny.. Alan Shaw traveling oncognito.. I can hear the music Now a version of Get smart and James Bond!

Hilarious to think Shaw is running around trolling forums in disguise!

Not just me either... Bet ya most of the supporters are Shaw as well!

11. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

I don't follow? In what way? I also don't understand your insulting tone.

I bought the Compact 7s just over a decade ago as they were boxed, in near mint condition, and priced about 350 quid below market value. I planed to use them for a month just to get a BBC monitor fix, and then flip them out at a substantial profit. I ended up really liking them and kept them for around 5 years, in fact until the 1st pair of Tannoy Golds showed up. When I first bought them I was using a Naim Nait 2 with Kans. The Nait wasn't up to the task, so I flipped it out for a Beat 100. I also tried the A60 I had in the other system (which helped me establish the Nait was underpowered). I eventually upgraded to the Prima Luna.

The SHL5s were widely discussed here, and yes, I fully admit I made a mistake. A nice speaker, but I'd set the bar too high and found them a step backwards from the Tannoys. Even so I tried every amp I had to hand before flipping them back out, as yes, I do find amps make a difference.

FWIW I've always been an opportunistic hi-fi buyer. I've zero time for magazine / dealer ideology, marketing rhetoric or fashion and I've always done my own thing in my own time. I find the journey itself interesting - I'm one of those strange folk who actually like to learn for themselves.

12. Brian

Brian Eating fat, staying slim

I've no problem with anything you've ever posted to me, darryl. My own comment about having a drink was a joke as well, hope you enjoy one this evening.

I must have missed any name-calling by anyone.

13. Robert

Robert Tapehead

That's the whole point Brian.
    Most amplifiers in use sit between the cheap Behringer and the expensive Krell, and in use they cannot be differentiated via listening unless you clip them or use silly loads.

So no, we shouldn't have to give a damn and should actually be focussing on the things that matter. That's the whole point of the argument, certainly from my POV.

Wires and digital (certainly in recent years) fall into the same category. The science required to understand these things is relatively simple and we should be able to move on and tackle the real problems in audio.

Just how many decades do we need to understand these simple things?

14. John

John pfm Member

Sorry, no insult intended, just a bit of sarcasm based off of Alan Shaw's theory.;)

15. Robert

Robert Tapehead

Excellent post. I thought it needed re-tweeting.

16. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Ah, I get it now! My current amps are even more characterful!

17. Tenson

Tenson Trade: AudioSmile

Maybe I should get Eunji to have ago ;)

I think the problem here is setting up all the required switching gear. Although not too hard, just some power relays.

18. Robert

Robert Tapehead

I heard those very HL5s up at Tony's and also heard a difference between the PL and 34/306. But then so there should be with about 4 ohms difference in the output impedance!
    The changes were perfectly in line with how this technical difference should change the sound. The changes were concentrated at the points were the load is most reactive - around the crossover point and system/port resonance.

Why is knowing this important?
    Many argue that the end user just doesn't need to know this.

Well I'd argue that this is the best defence you can possibly have against the spin that has already been mentioned. Spin that costs money, can lead to wrong decisions and hinders progress.

Good question Joe.
    I can't actually think of one - which probably indicates the its pretty easy to make them!

You could probably find some budget amps that are sufficiently 'off' or some of the odd things that turn up on eBay these days, mostly from China.

19. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Using ears alone I'd argue the PL2/SHL5 combo was more balanced / accurate overall: it sounded closer to the sound I get from my HD600s than via the 34/306, which sounded rather small, dry and mid-centric by comparison, though very smooth and nicely detailed. I tend to use cans as a reference, the closer I can get the system to them the better IMO. It's one of the things I like a lot about your 63s, they have a very headphone-like tonal balance.

20. Robert

Robert Tapehead

I thought the PL made them sound honky and coloured.
    I thought you did too?

I'd substitute tighter and more agile for your small and dryer though.
    Sighted though, so all questionable.

It would make a good candidate for the Harbeth challenge so long as output impedance wasn't on Alan's Radar.
    Shame its gone - could've bagged you some M40s :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.