advertisement

Challenge From Harbeth - Free M40.1 For Those Who Can Identify Amplifier Differences

Status
Not open for further replies.
If this was the case and his speakers can make all amplifiers sound the same, would you buy a pair? I wouldn't.

Oh Christ, now I've read it. So you have to design a 'switch-over system'. So music lovers (rather than tecchies) who can tell the difference between amps are excluded.

Not sure but if you can design a switching system I'm happy to do the listening and we'll split the profits.

Alan Shaw said:
If, in a controlled experiment with all variables accounted for (incl. differences in frequency reponse and within the power range appropriate to the amps) under instantaneous A-B relay switchover, driving any Harbeth speakers, if you can positively identify an amplifier by sound alone, I will give you, FOC, a pair of brand new Harbeth speakers, up to and including a pair of M40.1 in any veneer you fancy.

Interesting challenge, though does "incl. differences in frequency reponse and within the power range appropriate to the amps" indicate he expects any amps in the test to be EQ'd to some notion of "flat" via some form of additional signal processing? Quite some caveat if so.

FWIW In a straight level-matched real-world test between the diverse types of amps audiophiles actually tend to use, e.g. class B solid state, class A solid state, push pull tube and SET I'd expect to hear differences. I have certainly seen Harbs used with all this and more, so excluding or nobbling any particular type rather voids the whole thing IMO.

Yes I'm expecting the caveats to emerge eventually. Otherwise you just pick an old valve amp with sloppy bass and a flat but clinical modern SS and even Serge would tell the difference every time.

By the way, Serge, can you throw in an extra pair of Monitor 40's?

'Proportion correct' is a bit of an unsafe measure really. He'd be better off setting a d' criterion to control correct attributions for false alarms and misses.

I like his approach. Money where his mouth is refreshing compared to the usual inkier inkiness opinions. Don't see too many takers so perhaps confidence is not running as high as the talk.

Don't see too many takers so perhaps confidence is not running as high as the talk.

I have three amplifiers: a Croft 25R / Leak Stereo 20, a Audio Synthesis PAS 02 / Quad 303, and an old MkI Rega Brio. I'm confident I could tell them apart.

Tony L, - did you try the link to the HUG, - did you get the virus message ?

(run Apple software update first, if you haven't already)

JC

Yes I'm expecting the caveats to emerge eventually. Otherwise you just pick an old valve amp with sloppy bass and a flat but clinical modern SS and even Serge would tell the difference every time.

By the way, Serge, can you throw in an extra pair of Monitor 40's?

Normally, I'd say the one chance of hearing a difference between electronics was between different transfer functions of amplifiers, yes.

With a BBC-derived design like this one though, you've got no chance. They engineered that out about the same time they engineered out the dynamic range. I've never understood the fascination with these musical crematoria; you've got to wonder why the only people in the pro world who like them are either ancient BBC engineers or those trained (some might say 'indoctrinated') by ancient BBC engineers. Everyone - and I really do mean 'everyone' - else prefers better loudspeakers - including the lamented Yamaha NS10. Even the BBC prefers ATCs, Dynaudios and PMCs today.

Tony L, - did you try the link to the HUG, - did you get the virus message ?

(run Apple software update first, if you haven't already)

I ran software update last night and again just now, got a new version of Java each time, and I'm still getting the virus warning in Safari. I'm certainly not infected with the trojan that's going around on OS X (I've checked with Terminal), so I've no idea what it thinks it's reporting at Harbeth - it's just a vBulletin forum.

Prove it:)

And get some free speakers for your trouble.

I'd love to as I rather fancy either a pair of M40s or a pair of P3ESRs, but it would be inappropriate my entering this type of thing as I'm 'trade' due to running this place. I never do any audio competitions or draws for this reason. I'd strongly advise folk to follow it up though, it's a bit of fun, and assuming you chose your amps well, easily winnable IMO.

I'd love to as I rather fancy either a pair of M40s or a pair of P3ESRs, but it would be inappropriate my entering this type of thing as I'm 'trade' due to running this place. I never do any audio competitions or draws for this reason. I'd strongly advise folk to follow it up though, it's a bit of fun, and assuming you chose your amps well, easily winnable IMO.

I only see it as easily winnable if the amplifiers are radically different. A Krell against a 3W SET might do it, but with decent modern SS amps, I don't see how they could possibly be different.

S.

Tony, I must admit it seems inconceivable to me that one couldn't tell the difference but nevertheless no one has actually taken up the test. As you say it's a bit of fun in some ways and I have to respect Mr Shaw for laying down the gauntlet in an open fashion. It's good for the audio community.

I only see it as easily winnable if the amplifiers are radically different. A Krell against a 3W SET might do it, but with decent modern SS amps, I don't see how they could possibly be different.

S.

As long as they were level matched, no problem. We might have to get a local to Sussex chap to do it though!

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back