advertisement

CDP Lens cleaners.

marktr

Hi All,
Just wondering if there is such a thing as a ‘quality’ CDP lens cleaner and if so, recommendations please! Or, are they all ‘much of a muchness’? Thanks. Mark.

Hi All,
Just wondering if there is such a thing as a ‘quality’ CDP lens cleaner and if so, recommendations please! Or, are they all ‘much of a muchness’? Thanks. Mark.
I would always recommend 99.9% IPA on a lint free cotton swap, the wooden stick lab variety. The cd brush type don’t really do much in all honest.

I don't like IPA as I think it can potentially damage some lens coatings.

The safest method is to just fog the lens with your breath then polish dry with a clean cotton bud.

If I'm dealing with a really dirty lens I use window cleaning fluid but most of the time it isn't necessary.

I don't like IPA as I think it can potentially damage some lens coatings.

The safest method is to just fog the lens with your breath then polish dry with a clean cotton bud.

If I'm dealing with a really dirty lens I use window cleaning fluid but most of the time it isn't necessary.
Good point, window cleaning fluid is good shout.

I bought one of those CD brush things for my Meridians but really couldn't get along with it. Can't say I've cleaned the laser on my 3 successive CDPs since. I'm not at all sure one needs to. Guess it's easier with a top-loader than a drawer based machine. Pure guess here, but I think the CDP would tell you (!!!!) if all was not well. Unlike a stylus etc., I think it'll work properly or miss info. on the disc. Happy to be put right if not so.

Last edited:
Thanks for your responses. Occasionally the player doesn’t read that there’s a cd in the drawer. Once it’s does ( always at the second attempt) all is fine, so thought the lens needs a clean.

I would always recommend 99.9% IPA on a lint free cotton swap, the wooden stick lab variety. The cd brush type don’t really do much in all honest.
I've had them work. An old kitchen system wouldn't play stuff, I put the cleaning disc in, it then worked. I used to have to repeat it every few months.

It won’t fix the belt, I’m afraid.
Funny, I’ve just fixed my mum’s 30 year-old Onkyo cd player. All it needed was a new belt.

advertisement

Back