advertisement

CD V USB ASYNCH

arthur

Banned
Ok. Now.

I'll nail my colours to the mast straight off.

I'm a diehard cd-ist. Love em. Lp's ? too much faff and scratchies. Computers? Bollocks, HATE em. Streamers? wotthatthen???:confused:

And now to the point. Recently bought myself an Audiolab CDQ and it's bloody fabulous; excellent cd player, top class dac, mighty fine headphone amp and damn good pre amp too.

But the real magic appears to be the USB input.:confused:

I've been slowly putting my cd's into itunes (lossless) and now have enough on to make it worthwhile to play with it all.

I'm finding that I'm enjoying the music more through the usb from my laptop!!!

How can that be???

Seems to have a little more propellant behind it.

The real question now of course is where might I find a non-computer USB source? Something like onus or SB with about 750GB + drive?

And while I'm here and begging help, does anyone know of any solid state drives/memory up to, say, 250GB for less than the price of a kidney?

Interesting stuff this non-cd approach, but I do not, and will not, trust computers.

Any thoughts well received.

Cheers, Arthur,

It's a steep learning curve for sure, but those ripped CDs just sound way better than the CDs, even from a decent transport. I didn't want to change either....

It's a steep learning curve for sure, but those ripped CDs just sound way better than the CDs, even from a decent transport. I didn't want to change either....

Bizarre. I find precisely the opposite with the Audiolab. Now I've blown the dust off the shelf full of CDs and am playing them again. Rips still sound great, but for attentive listening, the CD wins. Even with Aync USB and a Kimber USB cable.

'A non computer USB source,' wether you choose to call it a computer or something else, it will involve data storage, Hard disc or SSD or NAS/DAS there will be some data transfer protocol and some graphic interface /playback software.
So,something like a Mac MINI run headlessly and controlled by your iPhone/iPad is a computer but doesn't look like one!
Keith.

advertisement

Back