1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

CD player. What have you got for £150-350 ish

Discussion in 'classifieds' started by cartman, Jun 18, 2017.

1. cartman

cartman Taking a sabbatical

As it says on the tin. Please PM me with anything you have. I'd be interested in a cheaper Naim, maybe a meridian 200 series player or transport/DAC, an original Rega Planet, a Sonneteer, A Copland CDA266, A Creek CD60 or maybe something else I've overlooked.

I'm not into Japanese kit at all and I've disliked every Marantz, Pioneer, Denon, Sony etc that I've come across both sonically and aesthetically. I'm really looking for something British or European.

Let me know what you have and what you are looking to get for it please.

Edit: just to summarise what I'm NOT interested in, I can safely rule out:

ALL SONY, PIONEER, DENON, TECHNICS, ONKYO, MARANTZ, PHILIPS, ROTEL, NAD, ARCAM, MISSION/CYRUS, LATER CAMBRIDGE AUDIO etc.

2. droom3

droom3 pfm Member

3. cartman

Thanks for the offer but I've had one of those and it didn't really have the sort of rhythm and timing I'm after. Nice enough player though if anyone else fancies it. Very well put together.

4. Ragaman

Ragaman pfm Member

Have you heard a Rega Apollo, great player for what your looking for sonically.

Can pick them up for around £200
    Sold my Naim cd3 in favour of this, has far greater rhythm & detail levels.

5. AudioAl

AudioAl pfm Member

Keep a look out for a Technics SL-P 1200 they are excellent , I have one , Broadcast quality as used by the BBC

6. cartman

I had the original Rega Apollo but I'm afraid I hated it. I found it utterly mechanical and lacking in any feeling. It wasn't great sonically either, to be honest.

I have always enjoyed the mk1 Planet. Had a few of those over the years. I also loved the Naim CD3.5 I had (even better than the Planet) so I guess we must just have different tastes. Thanks for the suggestion though.

7. onespeed

onespeed pfm Member

Naim CD3 of interest?

8. cartman

Yep :) if you'd like to PM me that would be great. I've never had a CD3 yet. Had a couple of 3.5s, a 5. A 5i mk1 and mk2, a 5x, a CDX and a few CDI's. Liked all except 5i mk1 and 5x. Even then they weren't bad. Guess I just like Naim players.

9. Hempknight

Hempknight pfm Member

The Marantz CD7300 is a very underated player, with a great dac, can be had for the lower end of your budget ;)

10. NeilK

NeilK pfm Member

Quad 99 CDP-2, fine player with accessible DAC (multiple optical and coax in), top end of your budget but maybe worth considering?

11. cartman

Looks interesting, thanks. Still looking so feel free to post or PM.

12. onespeed

onespeed pfm Member

YHM.
    regards

13. cartman

Replied thanks

14. madmike

madmike pfm Member

15. Martyn Miles

Martyn Miles Trade: MGM Audio

I have a Rotel 965BX.
    It has the 'Open / Close' button is 'lost' in a bedroom.
    They are a standard size, so I could probably find one
    in my box of bits & pieces.
    Other than that, the Rotel is working perfectly.

After some research, I feel £165 is a
    reasonable price.

Martyn Miles

Witney
    Oxfordshire

Mob: 0741 2277575.

16. cartman

Mission 7000s normally go for about £70 ish on EBay. Just days ago, I actually had the opportunity to choose one of two from a seller on eBay at £69 or best offer each but I decided to pass.

17. cartman

Thanks, Martyn. I've already had a 965bx and didn't enjoy it. Median price on ebay completed listings for an intact 965bx would seem to be around £60-80.

18. cartman

So far only the CD3 has been of interest but I'm still waiting for a price. Lots of other offers but it's stuff I don't want. Maybe better if I clarify the makers I'm NOT interested in.

I'm not interested in any.....SONY, PIONEER, DENON, TECHNICS, ONKYO, MARANTZ, PHILIPS, ROTEL, NAD, ARCAM, MISSION/CYRUS, LATER CAMBRIDGE AUDIO etc.

19. RichardA

RichardA pfm Member

How about a Trichord Research Genesis III, though I appreciate its a reworked Pioneer?

Richard

20. cartman

Thanks for the offer but I just don't like the look and feel of the Pioneers (or any other Japanese kit). I really want something that has the sort of build and aesthetics you associate with the better British and European makers.