advertisement

Cartridge Upgrade Advice

Sgt pepper

pfm Member
I have a rather old Project P2 turntable, fitted with an Ortofon 510 MK II. I am thinking of upgrading to either the 540 MKII or the Ortofon 2M Bronze.
The easiest way would be to upgrade to the 540 as this just requires a change of stylus, or go with the Ortofon 2M Bronze, but I am unsure if this Cart is compatible with my tonearm, being a bit heavier.
Trying to get as much information as I can before taking the plunge.:confused:

If my source is right, the the arm mass is about 11-11.5 gms. If that's right, then your Ortofon is just in the good match area. It's very light and has a high quoted compliance, but I'm unsudre how this was measured.
Anyway, apart from all the 'ifs', IF that mass figure is correct, then the ideal cartridge will be weighing from 6-12 grammes, and have a compliance somewhere around the high teens for that lighter cartridge, and the low teens for the heavier ones. All those will be a safe fit on your arm.

The Ortofon is fine in that respect and I'd guess (never heard that model) that it would out-perform the older cartridge quite easily. Bronze range ortofons are designed to sound warmer than the rest of the range. Best value are nearly always the blue labels IMO/E.

If you have a MC compatible phono stage, and another £100 you could try Dynavector's 10x5...remarkable what they have got from this entry level MC.

Thanks, Rockmeister. After taking further advice decided to go with the Ortofon 530MK II upgrade. I have been assured this will be the equivalent to the Bronze in performance.

advertisement

Back