advertisement

Cartridge/stylus recommendations for around £100

Ted-M

pfm Member
I have a Technics 1200 - currently use Stanton 680EE cart + eliptical stylus , I also have a Stanton 500 cart + Pickering D5E stylus. I like them both, but I wouldn't mind something new rather than looking for old stock stylus.

I tried an Ortofon 2M blue but I find it a bit bright and toppy compared to the sound I like.

Recommendations please!
As stated - I'm preferably after new, not old stock or second hand.

£100 - £150

Why not just use what you have for the summer? and keep saving your money until the nights start drawing in ready for winter.
And get something a bit good.
Even change the arm and feet if still using the originals?

A Shure 97xe at £70 is not automatically 'inferior'. It could be the product of superior design and mass production.
To my ears it sounds the equal of more expensive units, but a bit more laid back, as if it isn't trying too hard.
The key thing is whether this presentation suits you, not how much you spend. I would say the link between cartridge cost and quality is pretty tenuous. Even the more expensive stylus shapes don't guarantee much.....
Indeed I have owned a number of extremely pricey cartridges which produced less music than cheaper ones....audio is like that. Best not to take a single 'truth' for granted. This is a hobby which is a bit too comfortable with its own myths. You are best to start from scratch and assume nothing....nothing.

Shure M97xE for around £90 and start saving for a Jico SAS stylus.

As above! A bit smooth and not the most dynamic cart in the world but is extremely pleasant to listen to regardless of the pressing quality / condition it seems. A top all rounder and cheap as chips imo. I`ve not heard the Jico stylus but the nutters over on Ho**man :)-)) swear by it as a superb upgrade if bothered. There`s no way my cart is 100 times better I have come to realise too late :eek:

I have a Denon 110, it's very good. A friend has the Shure 97, that too is good. I haven't tried an A-B but it could go either way. If I needed another the Shure would certainly be considered.

advertisement

Back