advertisement

Cartridge 'open' lugs

oldius

Manchester City, dogs, family and food.
I have a couple of superb MM cartridges that have 'open' cartridge lugs. It seems a strange development to me but what's the best way to attach such a cartridge to the headshell without destroying the lugs?

A sample image of one of my catridges.

Is there any benefit to tightening beyond, err, tight? I would have thought by the time you got to lug threatening levels of torque you were well past necessary connection.

The image is not of my cart tbh. I have a zlm with full lugs and an xlm III

I have been recommended, because of the compliance of the cartridge, to try nylon nuts, bolts and washers. Any thoughts?

Worth a go, especially if you are using an arm more massy than the very low mass arms of that era (SME Series III, ADC, Infinity Black Widow etc). No need to worry too much about tightness with a cart that high compliance and low tracking weight as they transmit little energy into the arm, a whole different set of equations to the typical MC etc.

I used Frontpaneldesigner to make small plates with threaded holes. These I glue on top of the cartridge. I have heavy thick black plates for DL-103s, and thinner plates with extra holes for high-compliance cartridges, such as the DL-301.

Here is the 103 solution:

mod_dl103_1_t.jpg

Don't worry about the glue: many cartridges use it in their structure and are less than totally rigid.

advertisement

Back