advertisement

cartridge loading

As your amp has fixed 100R loading you can only go less than that with that kit. Any external value is in parallel with the internal 100R. You could always replace the internal 100R resistors with say 1K to be able to cover the likely range of interest.

As your amp has fixed 100R loading you can only go less than that with that kit. Any external value is in parallel with the internal 100R. You could always replace the internal 100R resistors with say 1K to be able to cover the likely range of interest.
Ah...I'd wondered how that might work. Thank you.

lol...if only you knew how little that means to me :)
Side by side? Is that it.
(no don't, I'm NOT joking but it'll be straight over my head regardless ).

At least you have not yet asked whether resistors have polarity :)

DIY audio is good fun, especially when there is no magic smoke..

The thing is as Jez has said,if you wish to increase the loading beyond your current 100R someone needs to go inside your amp with a soldering iron.
If you go down that route you could then fit a socket on the back enabling you to plug in any value of loading resistance you wish.

At least you have not yet asked whether resistors have polarity :)

DIY audio is good fun, especially when there is no magic smoke..

The thing is as Jez has said,if you wish to increase the loading beyond your current 100R someone needs to go inside your amp with a soldering iron.
If you go down that route you could then fit a socket on the back enabling you to plug in any value of loading resistance you wish.

Correctamundo..

100 ohms will work just fine with your Dyna. You're seeing complications that don't exist here. Since it's a 5 ohm cartridge it won't be very sensitive to loading. >30 ohm means any (reasonable) value above 30. Most fixed MC stages are at 100 ohms because it's a sensible value for most modern MC cartridges.

100 ohms will work just fine with your Dyna. You're seeing complications that don't exist here. Since it's a 5 ohm cartridge it won't be very sensitive to loading. >30 ohm means any (reasonable) value above 30. Most fixed MC stages are at 100 ohms because it's a sensible value for most modern MC cartridges.

+1 With most MC's loading changes are pretty subtle. It depends how much bother the OP wants to go to for subtle differences really...

Presuming it's the modern 505, I had a quick look for a service manual so I could say "you need to remove R23 and R24 and replace them with 1K resistors" but I can't find such a thing on line.

Once yo get far more than 100R loading on a low output MC, the loading change is having a negligible effect on frequency response, so tonality changes must be from somewhere else, such as RIAA equalisation tweaks

Once yo get far more than 100R loading on a low output MC, the loading change is having a negligible effect on frequency response, so tonality changes must be from somewhere else, such as RIAA equalisation tweaks

True. The key value that is missing is the inductance of the MC cart. Providing that it is low <0.5 mH then going above 100 Ohm will have little effect. Maybe add a bit of 'air' with some combinations. In my case the XV-1s has a bandwidth of around 5MHz with a 600 Ohms load but if you have a cart with say 1 mH and 100 Ohm load you are down to around 16KHz bandwidth and that may sound a bit dull.

Cheers,

DV

in which case, it'll probably be as easy just to muck about with VTA.
Interesting thread (for me:) ) however so thanks to all for the info.

True. The key value that is missing is the inductance of the MC cart. Providing that it is low <0.5 mH then going above 100 Ohm will have little effect. Maybe add a bit of 'air' with some combinations. In my case the XV-1s has a bandwidth of around 5MHz with a 600 Ohms load but if you have a cart with say 1 mH and 100 Ohm load you are down to around 16KHz bandwidth and that may sound a bit dull.

Cheers,

DV

Very interesting post, I was going to ask if there is an online calculator but found it .

http://www.hagtech.com/loading.html

Though finding the inductance for my Cart. might involve an email to Ortofon.

My Cadenza black is quoted as liking to see > 10 Ohm loading, though I have found the sweet spot at 80 Ohm, 100 Ohm or higher causes too much surface noise to creep through.

More useful information thank you, though looking at that bottom graph it appears that their is more to capacitance than just using the lowest capacitance interconnects possible.

For MCs, the real difference from loading is to internal damping rather than frequency response. Short version: current through the coils provides a force against the movement of the stylus (see Blumlein's work for a lot more detail on this), lower loading = more damping.

Prior to getting ESLs I preferred my Ortofons at 470ohms, now the sound is obviously underdamped compared to 100ohm with the actual ambience of the recording being more obvious at the lower setting.

Interesting links, S-Man and Misterdog. It would appear from the last link (S-Man) that the higher the internal impedance, the less sensitive the cart. is to R loading. My Tr. Proteus has an internal impedance of 1 ohm (only just above the phono stage breakers, the Audio Notes). It still sounded best on my 100 ohm plug (as did the Koetsu at 5 ohms int. imp.) on my Superline. but I didn't have a lower value plug, so maybe it could have benefitted from, say, a 50 ohms plug.

One thing I did read on the above links was that the m/coils were far better than m/magnets In frequency extention; something I didn't know, but does partly answer why coils are so revered, and unfortunately, costly !

just received this from Ortofon ( on a Saturday!)

With Moving Coil cartridges there is no need for any capacitor parallel to the coils. The normal inductance of the miniature coils in an MC is so low that whatever you do within the pF region, will never have any sonic effect. Select the lowest value.

Unless you're suffering from RFI, I can't see where capacitance comes into it (with coils). I used to use a low value cap. plug on my Superline before, but only to balance RFI and s.q. My friend uses no cap. at all on his (Lyra cart.). Resistance loading is a different ball game and I'm of the opinion that despite relating to the cart., can differ depending on phono stage and other ancillaries and indeed taste. Pity that I'm useless at physics, though I can't quite correlate the internal impedance to the external need for loading. Maybe the actual design of the cart. has a bearing.

For MCs, the real difference from loading is to internal damping rather than frequency response. Short version: current through the coils provides a force against the movement of the stylus (see Blumlein's work for a lot more detail on this), lower loading = more damping.
Electrical damping has greatest effect when R_load = R_Generator
When RL>100RG there is not much electrical braking going on

advertisement

Back