advertisement

Caps for 323 style board

Albertb

pfm Member
Hi. I'm in the process of designing the PCB for a 323 style board. Component wise, I have everything covered except for the 2 polarised caps, C4 in the feedback network and C7 at the output, (I have no need for C1). I have no problem with the original values but wondered what I could use in terms of makes.

Perhaps unfashionably I am not an overly fussy builder with components, I find it hard to agree on the worth of changing the manufacturer of one individual resistor or transistor to make phenomenal changes in sound rendition. That doesn't mean that I don't accept there are differences to be had, but with no real experience of comparisons between makes to draw on I have no reference point to base a choice on.

That is not meant to poke at attitudes here in the least, just to give you a background as to what I really need to be told. I am not likely to go to a component source high in the Japanese mountains where the components are made with mountain spring water amongst the specially clean air in the 3 months of the year where the temperature is right and only sold from the backpack of a wandering monk. Some would go to that extent to gain an improvement and I can respect that, but not me!

I just make sure to use components of reliable quality all round and improve to the esoteric or exotic where I can personally hear it has a genuine bearing. I think the ability to source these components easily and at a reasonable price as I need them is more important to me than a quest to search out the Holy Grail of capacitors in each place.

Can anyone suggest reasonable quality types for these 2 items which are easily accessible here and now?

oscon 56uf/ 25v for C4 (but check you are using under 25v).

silmic II, bc128 or std 10uf/ 35v tant for C7.

these are readily available, here or usual places, and good solid std replacements without going into capacitor la-la land.

Thanks Captain. That's a good starting point for me.

There should be no problem with the DC voltage. That point is of course reliant on the output level of the first stage. In my case that is a bit lower than Naim's operating point for the same gain. Signal voltage levels are so low here that it compromises little. The DC level across C4 is a little below this and is therefore well below 25V. C4 as 25V Oscon seems good.

Doing a very quick search for them in my links only shows up some Oscon SC and SA series at Rapid Electronics which doesn't include the 56uF. A value of 47uF would be just as good but I'm not sure of the series of the original 56uF. I'll keep on digging for this.

I'm still looking for the Silmic / BC128 options. And I'm surprised that the first advice I got was to use the standard tant for the output C7. I thought the general opinion here was that they were not terribly good. Not my opinion necessarily I hasten to add. If Naim originally use these they can't be a complete crock even if they can be improved on.

std tants for the output are good- they have a fast, musical sound. A 10uf silmic II will be slightly better for the output Imo (Ive 2 here in my 322 boards) as they tend to smooth the brightness a tad. A bc128 tends to be fast and a bit more detailed than a tant (popular on pfm) but can be a little racy and bright to me.

if you put a wtd for some silmic II 10ufs a pfm'er may well have 2 spare..

advertisement

Back