advertisement

Cap polarity for Philips CDM1 mk11 problem cap

Muzz44

pfm Member
I am a bit confussed here. Can someone please confirm the polarity of this cap.
https://picasaweb.google.com/100631...authkey=Gv1sRgCJ7JnsfN3dWM4QE&feat=directlink
My "Procced CDP3" CD player has just started playing up and lots of literature says clean the laser lenses AND replace this cap. All good stuff but I am confussed about it's polarity.
I presume the black end, nearest the crimp, means positive but I am not sure because the "black end" is so small and is not black at the centre where the wire protrudes??
Help please...
Cheers
Muzz

I am thinking that the black band printed on it is the negative end. I have elna caps with a similar black band and +ve markings on the other end. The black end you describe is the insulation/seal at the positive end.

Thanks bivalve but that mark is related to which end is connected to the outer foil of the cap. Here is what I found about it, but without the diagram cause it seems to disappear when cutting and pasting:
"The next capacitor is basically the same except they do have a mark for a polarity. Not necessarily for Positive and Negative. This mark denotes which side is connected to the outside foil. The mark will be a stripe running all around the body of the capacitor. The reasons for the marking has to do with coupling in Hi Fi amps. If you use these correctly they will cut down noise generated internally in the amp. You would want to connect the marked end in a special way so the out side foil doesn't interfere with another component. Or can help eliminate interference from other components. "

Cheers
Muzz

advertisement

Back