advertisement

Camera Neck Straps and camera strength!

Gary,

The 1200-1700 weighs 16 kilos! It makes the standard nature photographer tele -- the 300 f/2.8, seen third from bottom right in the picture -- look lightweight and compact.

Guybat,

I like the one on the bottom right. Is it for taking pictures round corners?
Pretty much. It's a 6mm fisheye lens with a full 220º angle of view, so it can literally look over its optical shoulders.

I have no idea what it's good for, but it is interesting that such an optic can be made. It has superb bokeh, by the way.

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/speciallenses/6mmfish.htm

m198110370001.jpg

6mm3s.jpg

Joe

You must be thinking of another album, Gary. There are no fisheye shots on Animals.

Are you thinking of Gish by Smashing Pumpkins?

imagen-album-smashing-pumpkins-smashing-pumpkins-gish.jpg

Joe

Yes on the inside of the cover. On the cd version its the first page in, a screwy picture of battersea powerstation.

Gary,

OK, I was thinking of that grainy, industrial shot with the floating Mr Pig.

Anyway, back to lenses... if zooms are your thing, you should save for the 17-55mm f/2.8 DX (high-quality, general-range zoom) first, then the 12-24mm f/4 DX (high-quality wideangle zoom). With the 80-200 you now have, everything will be covered from ultrawide to proper telephoto.

By the way, what's wrong with your 35mm f/2? It should be as sharp as the 80-200mm zoom at equivalent f-stops.

Joe

I guess so, but its not. I think the main thing is you land up using the 35mm indoors, and our house is like a cave so the results are normally dissapointing as you have to have it on F2.

I had my eye on one of these lenses next:

http://www.camerahobby.com/Review-35-70mm.htm

(the second picture, push pull type.)

What do you think? The general consensus is that its nice and sharp. Thing is to fund it I would need to sell the 35mm and 50mm primes, both of which are 'standard' lenses.

Unfortunately I do not see myself being able to spend 800+ on a lens in the near future.

For instance this is a shot taken today at F2.8 on the big zoom, thats wide open, and poor eddies milk rash should show its able to keep it wonderfully sharp. This is at iso 400.

However the 35mm prime, could not achieve this level of sharpness unless in sunny daylight.

This picture is unedited and not great but illustrates my point. I am trying to find a 35mm one for comparison.

yummy.jpg

yummy2.jpg

This is taken with the 35mm at 2.8 iso400.

Its probably not fair to compare in this way as conditions were different, but to be fair most of the shots from the 35mm unless nice and bright conditions have been disappointing, there are only so many shots you can turn black and white to call arty.

Gary,

I don't follow your logic. Your house is so dim that you have to shoot your 35mm f/2 wide open to get a picture, but you're considering a 35-70mm f/2.8 zoom, which is a full stop slower?

By the way, the 35-70mm f/2.8 is a good zoom, but it's not better at 35mm than your 35mm f/2.

Joe

Ok. I'll leave it for now.

TBH the other reason for considering a decent couple of zooms was to minimise geekery when out and about.

Gary,

TBH the other reason for considering a decent couple of zooms was to minimise geekery when out and about.
Minimize geekery? Zooms are the epitome of geekery. Cool cats shoot nothing but primes, usually Leica primes, the kind that mount on a M-series rangefinder.

Joe

This is all alien talk to me, I don't know what an M-series is, I am sure it makes you look very cool.

Gary,

An M-series rangefinder is the Vukamera of choice among discerning gentleman.

Joe

Gary,

It's old tech, but just try to get this look with digital --

TR000526-laurienHair01.jpg

Joe

advertisement

Back