advertisement

Camera Neck Straps and camera strength!

garyi

leave blank
I decided to spend my last 'my' money on a proper bastard heavy lens to see me the rest of my natural life.

It is heavy, so much so that my neck strap hurts. Are there other brands to recommend before I buy one on eBay?

Also on a D50 or infact any camera the metal hooks for the strap always seem a little weeny, and I am terrified its going to go ping, is this a likelyhood?

Camera neck straps are as neeky as neeky ever gets. You need to just hold the camera casually by your side with the one hand. Or better still get your asistant to hold it for you.

Thanks Monst that looks like the jobby.

Messengerman, I would worry about looking cool like that incase the lens rips the mounting out.

I do have a very small willy.

RichardH said:
...but a very large lens.

. . . and always keep it out of harms way in a safe keep . . .

bd_1.jpg

garyi said:
Thanks Monst that looks like the jobby.

Messengerman, I would worry about looking cool like that incase the lens rips the mounting out.

I do have a very small willy.

igary.

the strap isn't going to help this problem. when you have a very heavy lens mounted you need to hold he camera primarily by the lens, not the body. btw-- you should always have your left hand under the lens when shooting.

i also understand that the entry level canons have a plastic mount. that is big trouble.

vuk.

If sensible answers are appreciated, I've had one of "optechs" smaller straps for acouple of years now. Used to be on a Rolleiflex which is fairly heavy (by plastic SLR standards), and it certainly was more comfortable round my neck than standard wooven straps. I'd recommend one.

--
tom

Gary,

Neoprene straps won't reduce weight but they distribute the weight more evenly over your neck and absorb jolts, making the camera seem lighter.

Joe

Excellent I will purchase one.

The main worry is it hanging from my neck and the pressure on the camera joints, here's hoping.

I have been around and about today, and me arm aches haha.

Heres one I caught earlier, I am not sure who was more shocked me or him. I think this should crop up ok.

Its a gorgeous lens, a clear difference with sharpness.

fox.jpg

Gary,

The main worry is it hanging from my neck and the pressure on the camera joints, here's hoping.
Don't worry. You'll have sold your D50 and bought five other D-SLRs on eBay long before anything breaks or wears out. ;-)

By the way, since you seem to be pursuing nature photography with some passion, check out these sites for ideas and books --

John Shaw
http://www.johnshawphoto.com/

Galen Rowell
http://www.mountainlight.com/

Jim Brandenburg
http://www.jimbrandenburg.com/flash/index_flash.html

Note that none of these sites has so much as an ounce of art, according to Vuk, so be prepared for an assault the likes of which have never been seen on any forum in the history of the Internet.™

Joe

I am all over it.

Trouble is all my other lenses are now in comparison a big bag of shit, especially the 35mm one which I am not confident is actually working correctly, sigh!

tomh said:
If sensible answers are appreciated, I've had one of "optechs" smaller straps for acouple of years now. Used to be on a Rolleiflex which is fairly heavy (by plastic SLR standards), and it certainly was more comfortable round my neck than standard wooven straps. I'd recommend one.

--
tom
Me too. Mine was on an OM2n and is now on a Rolleiflex ...

Guybat,

The mother of all super zoom lenses, the 1200-1700mm Zoom-Nikkor, pictured top left --

12001700groupview.jpg

Joe

Wo be jesus, its big but it ain't that big.

Its a 80-200mm F2.8 ED version 2 so a push pull type, it is gorgeous to use.

trouble is a comparable zoom for the 35-80 odd range seems to be very bloody expensive so I am going to save. This tele puts my primes to shame for sharpness, as usual you have to pay the money.

advertisement

Back