advertisement

Calling all Harbeth users

Ported or sealed cabinet? Sounds very intersting indeed.

For a while there I thought you might referring to the "NRG" range but those aren't supposed to be monitors and have paper cones... BTW has anyone listened to any of the NRG range... for a long time I wondered whether that would be a non-wallet-melting way in to the Harbeth sound.

If only there was a way for them to make the "BBC monitor" designs at lower cost - but the carpentry and in-house drivers can't be cheap.... and those are the two factors that set them apart.
Ported- nearest current model looks to be the M.30. And to reprise previous clues- Radial cone, HLP3 tweeter, MDF, glued baffle...

Am I going to have to put you lot out of your misery then?

Ionisation live...awesome!

Be glad you don't live in Dixie. Unconventional live music here would be considered Lynyrd Skynyrd (unconventional solely due to the 6th grade cheerleader form of substituting the letter "y" for as many vowels as possible)

Dave, would Varese get Tony nailed to a firey cross in N.C?

Back up thread a bit there was a question about the older SHL5; I've just gone back one step further to a pair of HL1 Mk4 and though I couldn't say how they compare to current Harbs, in the context of '20 odd year old speakers that one way or another have BBC DNA and can be had for under GBP 250' (Rogers LS7t, KefKit3, JR149 are the ones I've had here) first impressions are that they are very, very good indeed.
The reasons for the move from bextrene to polypropelene become immediately apparent; whether the jump to RADIAL is as big I'll have to wait a while to find out I guess.

My previous speakers (Spendor 3/5) had polypropelene membranes. While being quite good, I must admit that switching to Radial drivers was really a breathtaking experience.

Slightly nerdy but: apparently the mk4 saw the move from polypropelene to TPX (produced by Audax) for the bass/mid.

The reasons for the move from bextrene to polypropelene become immediately apparent; whether the jump to RADIAL is as big I'll have to wait a while to find out I guess.

It is a big jump, at least comparing current Harbeth mini monitors to the original P3s (polypropylene mid-bass). Mid-range clarity is remarkable, and they have chosen to make the whole speaker more full-range and less cuddly.

My previous speakers (Spendor 3/5) had polypropelene membranes. While being quite good, I must admit that switching to Radial drivers was really a breathtaking experience.
if you went from an S3/5 to an SHL5 then it might be more than cone material that made the differnce. ;)

About as sure as i could be if they devoted several paragraphs on their website to their unique 'lossy damped ply construction', oh they did.... ;-)

Quote from Gramophone:
"the extra-thick 15mm front baffle is married to top, bottom and side MDF panels"
SideshowBob had a pair of these a few years ago, at about the same time TonyL and myself were running C7s.

I did. They were splendid. C7s are splendider though.

Alan Shaw really doesn't like K6s at all, even though he designed them.

Indeed, on closer inspection it seems the Birch ply cabinets stopped with the last LS35A's that they made. So about 15 years ago.

advertisement

Back