advertisement

Calling all Harbeth users

If you look on 'Basic Facts' on Harbeth's home page it spells it out... Drivers, cabinets, amplifiers, stands etc. etc. Along with a lot of sensible information, including cables ! Martyn .

Ported or sealed cabinet? Sounds very intersting indeed.

For a while there I thought you might referring to the "NRG" range but those aren't supposed to be monitors and have paper cones... BTW has anyone listened to any of the NRG range... for a long time I wondered whether that would be a non-wallet-melting way in to the Harbeth sound.

If only there was a way for them to make the "BBC monitor" designs at lower cost - but the carpentry and in-house drivers can't be cheap.... and those are the two factors that set them apart.

Hi!
Anyone can tell me the difference (sound-wise) between the old HL5 and the new SHL5? A huge leap or not?

Best
Klaus

Big improvement, mainly due to the Radial-2 cone of the main driver. Lower colouration, greater prescence, faster etc.

I don't think the SHL5 uses the newer RADIAL-2 cone, there was some confusion on the Harbeth site after they updated it.

http://www.harbeth.co.uk/uk/index.php?section=products&page=superhl5&model=Super%20HL5

...thats what they say:
'Retaining the same classic 'two cubic foot' proportions as the BBC LS3/6 monitor (actually a little wider), the exclusive Harbeth-made 200mm RADIAL™ cone bass/mid driver produces....'

Its not Radial-2, but Radial anyway. The HL5 has polypropylene cone then?

Just to confuse things, the SHL5-3 has a Radial cone as do all the others including the mid driver of the M40.1. The Radial-2 refers to a slightly different surround shape and this applies to the P3ESR and the M40.1 only. The material remains the same - Radial.

The local hi-fi dood is thinking of carrying Harbeth and will be bringing in some models this week to have a listen.

I know this because I was in his shop briefly on Saturday to buy a record and while there he mentioned that he's thinking of carrying Harbeth and will be bringing in some models this week to have a listen. (See above.)

Any in particular I should listen to? I'm not looking to change speakers, but I'm curious to hear a Harbeth model or two.

Joe

Baz,

To an even bigger Tannoy?

Joe

* I bought this record, my first Berlioz LP. (I'm trying to branch out from my comfort zone -- Bach, Vivaldi, Mozart, Beethoven, Beatles,...)

Baz,

Can your Harbeths make isolinear optical chips shake like that?

Joe

Baz,

Can your Harbeths make isolinear optical chips shake like that?

Joe

They would if I had any, I have to wedge the sliding glass doors in the hatch to the kitchen to stop them joining in!

I guess computers are a tad more rugged in the 24th century?

Baz,

To an even bigger Tannoy?

Joe

* I bought this record, my first Berlioz LP. (I'm trying to branch out from my comfort zone -- Bach, Vivaldi, Mozart, Beethoven, Beatles,...)

Joe -try getting your groove thang on with some olivier messiaen, elliot carter or edgar varese.

dave

Varese is great, I have his complete works (which ain't a huge amount)! I've seen Ionisation live too.

Tony.

Ionisation live...awesome!

Be glad you don't live in Dixie. Unconventional live music here would be considered Lynyrd Skynyrd (unconventional solely due to the 6th grade cheerleader form of substituting the letter "y" for as many vowels as possible)

advertisement

Back