advertisement

Bush VHF94 vintage radio

Mick P

Retired and content
I have now bought a 1950's radio and am having it restored for the bedroom

Regards

Mick

I have now bought a 1950's radio and am having it restored for the bedroom

What radio did you buy Mick? There's an old chap down the street from me who restores that kind of thing as a hobby, wind up gramophones too, though 1950s is a little late for him, he's more into the 20s and 30s stuff. I really like that kind of thing and it's great seeing folk keeping them working and in daily use.

Tony.

Tony

My father worked for Bush Radio as a Toolmaker in Plymouth for 8 years in the 1950's. About a couple of weeks ago, I thought of buying a radio for my spare bedroom and why not one from my Fathers era.

I susssed out a vintage radio forum, asked around and the best model seemed to be a Bush VFM94. It is a wooden case jobbie with FM reception. It measures 22" by something else. It is very 1950s in appearance.

There is a thriving restoration army in the UK and I am picking up my radio sometime in January from a guy who does it as a hobby near Gatwick.

Regards

Mick

Sounds really nice Mick, though I can't find a picture - can you spot anything similar here.

Tony.

(ex-RG71 owner!)

Tony

There is a model shown in the url as a VFM64. My model is identical except that in instead of a bakelite border surrounding the grill, mine has a cream plastic one. It just looks a bit more 1950's.

Regards

Mick

This is a Bush VHF94

vhf94.jpg

I have the similar Bush VHF64

vhf64.jpg

although it's not in great condition and is currently in bits ...

I've pulled this content out of the AVI noisefest prior to deletion as it's interesting / well worthy of a thread of it's own.

Tony.

The VHF64/94 has an electrostatic speaker for HF which after 50-odd years doesn't usually work - but they are easily repairable.

There is usually great debate on the vintage radio forum about which valve radio sounds the best, but these two Bushes and some of the Germans sets - Saba, Grundig etc generally get a mention.

Personally my favourites are the 1940s post war RAPs

attachment.php

Which have glass backs and chrome chassis for ultimate bling.

attachment.php

advertisement

Back