advertisement

budget 2017

pleased with the stamp duty cut for first time buyers . brilliant news

Just in time for all those off-loaded BTL properties. I rather think that this first time buyer carrot (which varies throughout the country) will at least put a floor under prices at the lower end.

OBR reckon the stamp duty will increase house prices: it does nothing*. Bung to owners maybe.

And I'm agreeing with the OBR, but only because we normally talk about house prices excluding stamp duty. If you look at the price including stamp duty, the price buyers actually pay, that will be less for first time buyers than if there were no stamp duty cut.

*Actually they predict the cut will cause prices to rise by twice the amount of the cut.

According to The Guardian the OBR predicts the cut will cause a small 0.3% price rise (did you misread it as 3%?). If you are buying a £300k house today, you're on the hook for 1.7% stamp duty, so first time buyers would still be paying around 1.4% less.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...st-time-buyers-fix-housing-market-budget-2017

Second and third time buyers etc. don't get the benefit of the stamp duty cut, but still pay the higher house prices generated by the change, so they are worse off.

Kind regards

- Garry

House prices are falling quickly in London. Part of this is down to the market stalling. I had an online estate agent around a week ago to do a valuation. My place is £225,000 cheaper than it was in January, according to him. But then he said many places weren't selling a year ago. Estate agents do like to lie though.

To put it on the market this week would be stupid, because we are heading towards Christmas and New Year. Plus the market has slowed down because people are holding off buying and selling because of Brexit.

I've just watched someone in the City say that growth in the UK is going to keep going down in the next few years, whereas in the EU and America it is rising.

My guess is if May and her morons don't satisfy the three EU stipulations about money, the Irish border and the rights of EU citizens, by the start of December the UK economy will nosedive.

A mate of mine who lives in Barcelona warned me to sell my gaff before the EU referendum. I wish I'd listened to him and moved out the country.

Jack

Last edited:
OBR reckon the stamp duty will increase house prices: it does nothing*. Bung to owners maybe.

The land banking thing: my understanding is they're "going to look into it."

*Actually they predict the cut will cause prices to rise by twice the amount of the cut.

The main barrier to FTBs buying a property is the up front cash needed. An increase in the price in the property can be paid back over many years on the mortgage. The SDLT is due immediately.

We can't afford to treat benefit recipients reasonably re: universal credit, but we can afford to prop up property prices/provide a bung to ftbs.
istm this is a fcuked up situation.

There is money to improve Universal Credit too. From the BBC's summary:

"Pensions, savings and welfare
  • £1.5bn package to "address concerns" about the delivery of universal credit
  • Seven-day initial waiting period for processing of claims to be scrapped
  • Claimants to get one month's payment within five days of applying
  • Repayment period for advances to increase from six to 12 months.
  • New universal credit claimants in receipt of housing benefit to continue to receive it for two weeks"

How can a single cut be justified in this budget when May is about to hand over 40 billion to the EU, I would personally tell the EU to go f^ck themselves & walk away from this ransom request.
I would like to ask the government where this amount has come from when the country is supposed to be clawing back a deficit.
The pot is clearly not empty.

40 billion's worth of blood money.

It was always clear from the beginning that there would be financial commitments to honour if we left. I'm sure you realise that walking away with no deal would be an extremely stupid, irresponsible and damaging thing to do. Moreover, I suspect it would be somewhat difficult for the UK to find decent trade deals post-Brexit if we were seen to be unreliable at playing by the rules.

• New universal credit claimants in receipt of housing benefit to continue to receive it for two weeks"

imo nowhere near enough, and Sean has pointed out a couple of the many things that should higher priority than property market props and bungs.

I believe the Two Tone ensemble, The Specials, summed this budget up perfectly in 1980, with the lyrics to their rather catchy tune titled "Pearl's Cafe"
It's all a load of bollocks
And bollocks to it all.

Ouch, daughter moved in to her first property earlier in the month, that was a lesson in negative reward prediction error:)

It's hardly generous!! Those at the bottom deserve the most help and can be helped the most for the smallest outlay. If you've got nowt then £1000 can be life changing. If you have £50,000 a year anyway then £1000 is just a nice Brucey bonus... It will take a Corbyn gov to properly take from the rich and give to the poor of course.

The idiot IDS should have got universal credit right the first time and shouldn't have written off more than a £100 million in failed computer system spending.

Ouch, daughter moved in to her first property earlier in the month, that was a lesson in negative reward prediction error:)

If it’s any consolation, your daughter is wealthier on paper than she was this morning, as the property value has just increased...

not good news for diesel car buyers as will be slapped with even more tax , meaning we won`t buy more new cars and keep the older ones . car sales are already down

not good news for diesel car buyers as will be slapped with even more tax , meaning we won`t buy more new cars and keep the older ones . car sales are already down

If a small increase in tax means someone won’t be buying a new car, maybe they shouldn’t be buying a new car.

A daft argument. All change happens at the margin.

On most cars (less than 130g / CO2) the change is tiny and on the first year VED only. The cost of half a tank of fuel will change the buying behaviour of most people’s second largest purchase? Really?

Only a little bit more Tory austerity pain to endure before they implode over Brexit and an election is called.

When the Tories go out of office this time, they're finished. Only over 70s will be voting for them. Their death is fully deserved and entirely self inflicted.

On most cars (less than 130g / CO2) the change is tiny and on the first year VED only. The cost of half a tank of fuel will change the buying behaviour of most people’s second largest purchase? Really?
ah , i read 400 pound increase for a discovery , but i guess comapred to the overall price its not much

advertisement

Back