advertisement

Brio-R or Mira3?

I use a Brio R, with RP3, Saturn, DAC and Rs3s. Brilliant system.
That sounds (and looks) like a lovely system indeed, Chris. :)

Have you compared the Brio R to other amps ?

My bad. The Rega doesn't get hot at idle, so it must be its maximum consumption then... Alco, perhaps contacting Rega directly would clarify. I would hate that you decide against a wonderful amp based on presumptions here.

Thanks Andrew

Jan

Someone with a Kill-A-watt could measure conclusively and get a power figure. If I end up with a Brio-R, I'll measure it.

As you may remember Alco, I had a 555, 552/300 system and after that a Lyngdorf TDAI 2200.

I actually enjoy the Rega system more than either of those, which will irritate a few here no doubt!

As you may remember Alco, I had a 555, 552/300 system and after that a Lyngdorf TDAI 2200.

I actually enjoy the Rega system more than either of those
Blimey,...that's quite an announcement, Chris! :)

btw,...you won't happen to have a nice systempic of your lovely Rega setup, do ya ? :) ;)

Chris, are you using the DAC for Saturn or other duties ?

Both. I have the Saturn wired for both analogue and digital output as I am assured by Rega that this has absolutely no detrimental effect of the sound quality. To my ears some discs sound better through one or the other, although the differences are not massive.

I shall also use the DAC with a streaming device as soon as I find one that sounds good and which I can afford!

Blimey,...that's quite an announcement, Chris! :)

btw,...you won't happen to have a nice systempic of your lovely Rega setup, do ya ? :) ;)

I know it sounds mad but I can only speak as I find. I do run everything through the Isotek Titan that I originally bought for my Naim system, and I have a REL R305SE wired in via the speaker terminals, as I already had it. That said, I love the musicality of this Rega system more than I can tell you. For less than £500 the Brio R is an absolute bargain.

It all sits on a Quadraspire XL.

Was the Isis/Osiris better? Of course, but far more expensive than I can afford at the moment. This system just thrills me every time I play it, no matter what genre I am playing.

I'll post some pic later.

I fully understand his enjoyment, the Lyngdorf hifi didn't impress me at all.

The Naim stuff, lower priced is fine (never heard mentioned) but Rega seem to have found the trick and very affordable

Full range of speakers and decent priced CD-players
This is a thing you can't exact say from Naim

Don't get me wrong, I still think Naim makes some great electronics, but nothing to compare pound for pound with this Rega set up I currently own and certainly nothing in their current speaker ranger rings my bell, whereas the RS3s just work brilliantly in my 16 x 12 room, driven by the Brio R.

I actually enjoy the Rega system more than either of those, which will irritate a few here no doubt!

It may irritate loyal Naim owners, especially current reference level 555 and 552/300 users, though I am not bothered for a bit although I am a Naim user myself. I can totally understand your situation, though others who often correlate sound quality with cost will not share the same notion.

May I ask what speakers are matched to the Brio-R in your system that you feel is more enjoyable than the 552/300 Naim based system that you had previously?

Okay, just saw your post. The Rega RS3s are used with the Brio-R, and this small system sounds better than the 555, 552/300 system that you owned previously. May I ask what speakers were used with the top-level Naim gear that you previously owned?

Okay, just saw your post. The Rega RS3s are used with the Brio-R, and this small system sounds better than the 555, 552/300 system that you owned previously. May I ask what speakers were used with the top-level Naim gear that you previously owned?

Yes I had Audiovector Mi3 Avantgarde Arretes. Lovely speakers.

I am not denigrating the Naim system - it was excellent. But for a fraction of the cost I am getting incredible musical pleasure from my current set-up.
I think Rega really understand system synergy.

advertisement

Back