advertisement

Brio-R or Mira3?

bcwang

Brio-R or Mira 3? Both are equally priced, which is the better performing amp? Please comment if you've compared the two or can offer suggestions one way or the other.

They'll be driving the RS5 speaker and used with a Saturn and Rega DAC.

Thanks!

edit: Also, is there any reason not to go with the Cambridge Audio 840A V2 which is also about the same price now? It seems like a well regarded unit as well and at the new price....it's very tempting.

There is no substitute for hearing them yourself, as we all have different tastes.

Personally, I prefer the Brio R for it's much beefier and dynamic presentation. The Mira is more laid back and sophisticated but might suit polite music better.

Defintely Brio-R if you're using the Rega Dac. The rega dac is great and everything, but it gels the best with the Brio-R. If you're planning on getting rid of hte dac, and just use the saturn, then the mira might be a better bet; which might not be a bad option, if you're really only spinning CDs.

Guys,..I'm getting curious about the Brio R amp, after so many raving reviews and users findings.
(not even talking about the great looks), but...

I just noticed on a site that the power-consumption of the Brio R is rated at 195 watts. :eek:

That seems like an awful lot, especially compared to my Nait 5i-2 that draws only about 10 watts.
Wouldn't that mean an huge difference in the electricity bill ? :confused:

Defintely Brio-R if you're using the Rega Dac. The rega dac is great and everything, but it gels the best with the Brio-R. If you're planning on getting rid of hte dac, and just use the saturn, then the mira might be a better bet; which might not be a bad option, if you're really only spinning CDs.

Could you elaborate more on this please? What aspects make you feel the DAC a better pair for the Brio-R and the Mira3 with the Saturn?

Guys,..I'm getting curious about the Brio R amp, after so many raving reviews and users findings.
(not even talking about the great looks), but...

I just noticed on a site that the power-consumption of the Brio R is rated at 195 watts. :eek:

That seems like an awful lot, especially compared to my Nait 5i-2 that draws only about 10 watts.
Wouldn't that mean an huge difference in the electricity bill ? :confused:

Ok 195 watts is the maximum consumption and in reality it will never consume that much power, it would be much the same as the nait in practise!

Ok 195 watts is the maximum consumption and in reality it will never consume that much power, it would be much the same as the nait in practise!
Really ? That would be reassuring. :)

No competition. Elicit is way better, but also way different. Brio-R is a scrappy little puppy, all bouncy and happy. Elicit is an adult.

Not quite. As I explained to Alco in the Brio R thread, the Brio is biased into class A, so the 195 watts would be its idling consumption and not its maximum.

Jan

As I explained to Alco in the Brio R thread, the Brio is biased into class A, so the 195 watts would be its idling consumption and not its maximum.
This means that even if I had it powered on for say 8 hours a day it would still consume about 50% of all my other electrical devices together on a yearly basis! (lights, tv, PC, fridge, washing machine, micro-wave, etc,etc)

Hmm,...for me this could be the reason to dissmiss the Rega. :(

At 195W at idle, you would expect Class A output with 2A quiescent current per channel and a burning hot sensation on its lid.

...unless it is 195W max during operation.

Andrew

At 195W at idle, you would expect Class A output with 2A quiescent current per channel and a burning hot sensation on its lid.

...unless it is 195W max during operation.

Andrew
My bad. The Rega doesn't get hot at idle, so it must be its maximum consumption then... Alco, perhaps contacting Rega directly would clarify. I would hate that you decide against a wonderful amp based on presumptions here.

Thanks Andrew

Jan

Thanks Jan & Andrew,

I just sent a mail to the Dutch distributor for Rega to clear things up. :)

Not quite. As I explained to Alco in the Brio R thread, the Brio is biased into class A, so the 195 watts would be its idling consumption and not its maximum.

Jan

It would be too hot to touch if this was the case, 195w is a hell of a lot in idling.

I also just sent an email to a Rega dealer regaring the Brio R's power consumption and to my surprise I got a reply within 20 minutes! (didn't realize that the shop was still open)

The owner of the shop told me that all amps, including the Brio R consume more power when music is played loud. (makes sense)
Also that any amp has a peak power consumption when switched on, because it has to reload the capacitors.
(I hope that's the right translation, as English is not my native language)

He continued to say that once the amp is warmed up (within a few minutes) it won't use that much electricity, and he reassured me that it wouldn't be any problem leaving the amp on 24/7, to be sure that it sounds best at all times. :)

I also just sent an email to a Rega dealer regaring the Brio R's power consumption and to my surprise I got a reply within 20 minutes! (didn't realize that the shop was still open)

The owner of the shop told me that all amps, including the Brio R consume more power when music is played loud. (makes sense)
Also that any amp has a peak power consumption when switched on, because it has to reload the caps.
(I hope that's the right translation, as English is not my native language)

He continued to say that once the amp is warmed up (within a few minutes) it won't use that much electricity, and he reassured me that it wouldn't be any problem leaving the amp on 24/7, so be sure that it sounds best at all times. :)

Yup.

advertisement

Back