advertisement

Brexit ‘Divorce Bill’ cost.

We now have a figure of between £34 billion and £39 billion to pay to leave the EU.
Will some clever person explain to me how a country like ours, so deeply in debt,
is going to find that sort of money ?

Don't worry Hammond is going to take if from the poor, while increasing tax breaks to the rich. It is all part of Tory the cnutdom.

Jack

Last edited:
Norway is in debt. The whole world works in debt.

Forbes says:

"The world's biggest state piggy bank just passed a major milestone. Earlier this week, it was announced that Norway's sovereign wealth fund surpassed the $1 trillion mark for the first time, driven by climbing stock markets and currency shifts. Just to put that into perspective: $1 trillion is about the same size as Mexico's economy and it equates to over $190,000 for each of Norway's 5.2 million citizens.

"The country is a major oil producer and it transfered its first revenue to the fund, officially the Government Pension Fund of Norway, in May 1996. Since then, the fund has grown to become one of the world's biggest investors in stocks, owning $667 billion of shares in more than 9,000 companies around the world including Apple, Nestle and Microsoft."

I guess pensions in Norway are slightly bigger than in the UK.

Jack

Being paid half again as much as a Brit and major expenses (such as rent and mortgages) only being 20% more should also give some smugness. In addition to knowing your government has trillion dollars handy for a rainy day. For a population one tenth the size of the UK.

Earlier this week, it was announced that Norway's sovereign wealth fund surpassed the $1 trillion mark for the first time, driven by climbing stock markets and currency shifts. Just to put that into perspective: $1 trillion is about the same size as Mexico's economy and it equates to over $190,000 for each of Norway's 5.2 million citizens.

"The country is a major oil producer and it transfered its first revenue to the fund, officially the Government Pension Fund of Norway, in May 1996.

I wonder what the UK's sovereign wealth fund is worth today, but can't seem to find the number.

The UK does have one, right?

I have absolutely no idea.

Jack
If the Norwegians have a rainy day fund with a trillion in it, and the Brits have been pumping oil from the same North Sea at least as long, there must be quite a sovereign pile of pounds somewhere, wouldn't you think?

If the Norwegians have a rainy day fund with a trillion in it, and the Brits have been pumping oil from the same North Sea at least as long, there must be quite a sovereign pile of pounds somewhere, wouldn't you think?
Ws8rnc4.jpg

Reactions: PsB

You'd hope so, but it wouldn't surprise is somebody has pocketed a lot of it and sent if offshore.

Jack

advertisement

Back