advertisement

Brexit ‘Divorce Bill’ cost.

Sovereignty, dear boy. Sovereignty. Don't underestimate the misty eyed allure it has for some people. As we stand on the aft-deck sinking further into the atlantic's freezing depths we can stare lovingly at the royal ensign, salute and proudly proclaim 'this is my ship', and that's all that matters (apparently).

Indeed! I've never fathomed this one out either... quite what difference it makes to them personally god only knows! Maybe it endows them with the power to talk even louder and slower, in English, to "Johnny Foreigner"? Or does it make English football hooligans 'arder?

Apparently some don't want human rights..... if they're from Europe!

Indeed! I've never fathomed this one out either... quite what difference it makes to them personally god only knows! Maybe it endows them with the power to talk even louder and slower, in English, to "Johnny Foreigner"? Or does it make English football hooligans 'arder?

Apparently some don't want human rights..... if they're from Europe!
We want sub-human rights and we want them now!

We don't want any of them comin in either, what with their overly hot saunas, their birch branch flagellation and their palid fleshy physiques. Not to mention their raging thirst for alcohol. We've got enough of that sort of thing already.

Back to the original question, the money will probably come from the NHS budget, unless Branson takes it via the courts first.

Hopefully my Swedish citizenship will come through before my UK one runs out next year, a Swedish passport is only thirty five quid.

As already mentioned, in the context of the national UK budget, our present EU membership payments, and paid over many years, the sum is insignificant. If leaving the EU is a good idea for £0 it is still a good idea. If it wasn’t then it still isn’t.

Also a reminder that “nothing is agreed until everything is agreed”. This is a pointer and a stepping stone to a final agreement, but not binding on either party. The main effect is to allow the process to move to the next stage and, by doing so, prevent the May government from falling.

All this talk about divorce bill is irritatingly inaccurate: most of it is money the UK was paying already. As the UK is still in the EU until Brexit and is talking about a "transition period" of a few years after that, it just keeps on paying its membership fees in return for membership services (EU agencies, development funds, etc.) as before. The only reason I see for people to get worked up about this would be some irresponsible promises from Brexiters.

All this talk about divorce bill is irritatingly inaccurate: most of it is money the UK was paying already. As the UK is still in the EU until Brexit and is talking about a "transition period" of a few years after that, it just keeps on paying its membership fees in return for membership services (EU agencies, development funds, etc.) as before. The only reason I see for people to get worked up about this would be some irresponsible promises from Brexiters.
That is my clear understanding too, but hard Brexiteers and their allies in the right wing press seem quite happy to create the impression that this is somehow new money. It suits their agenda.

The government could alway start collecting the (unpaid) taxes earned on profits by the likes of Apple etc. that have been squiralled away off shore. Should be plenty to pay off a chunk of it.

Their fantasy was always telling the EU to "go whistle"/ standing up and showing their arses in the European Parliament / ordering extensively from the menu then doing a runner when the waiter took away their dirty dishes. They peddled myths of supremacy to an electorate demoralised by austerity and the hideous failure to restructure Britain's economy after the ravages of Thatcher's deindustrialisation strategy. This as someone has already said- is where delusion collides with hard reality.

The transition period isn’t yet agreed, although since we seem to be paying up to 2020 anyway, it would almost seem rude not to.

The full text of the joint report is here: https://ec.europa.eu/commission/sites/beta-political/files/joint_report.pdf

The most controversial paragraphs are 49 and 50, about Northern Ireland. These are the bits that the DUP reportedly had modified and where the assistance of Lewis Carroll was most required.

advertisement

Back