advertisement

Breaking down the Beats

For most budget hifi the box it comes in is a major cost. Add colour printing etc and you can see where the money goes.

I used some in a shop a while ago and was surprised by just how bad they were. The also look bloody ugly and unfashionable.

Jack

Then again, how many people here are Beats customers? Perhaps if there was a Stax teardown......

There have been a fair number of threads about them, even if most of us here realize they are all marketing, little substance.

A Stax teardown would be cool, though.

I wonder if the component cost really is that different to similarly priced yet more audiophile-friendly cans like Sennheiser, AKG, Beyer etc?

I brought some Beats a few years ago.

It was a real dumb moment.

But then again not just restricted to one brand, a lot of stuff is smoke and mirrors when new. It's value is only more truly reflected years later in the prices in the second hand market.

is there a thread for dumb regret purchases?!

I wonder if the component cost really is that different to similarly priced yet more audiophile-friendly cans like Sennheiser, AKG, Beyer etc?
Probably not. But at least they're built to a higher standard. Even Sennheiser's cheap HD-202s are screwed together, and sound better than any beats. In fact, I prefer them to many audiophile designs... for £25, you can't beat them. Ridiculously durable too.

advertisement

Back