advertisement

Booooo! Cartridge woe...

If you're thinking about a MM instead, then you could do worse than find the time to read Rauliregas' long thread on Audiogon - almost 13,000 replies and 20 million reads

https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/who-needs-a-mm-cartridge-type-when-we-have-mc

I bought as back up cartridges a Garrott P77i and an Ortofon M20 FL as result of his thread - very good they are too :)

Many thanks, will do some reading. I've only ever used an Exact with the P9 but a different MM could be an option.

Goldring are good with Lyra rebuilds, 300 notes will get you a mint cart back with a new fine line stylus.

Reactions: jay
My Helikon had one of the channels die as it was very old, got it re-tipped at Expert Stylus Co, work very good indeed.

So, the choices are...

1. exchange my old Delos for a new Delos
2. replace rear brake discs and pads on the car
3. Christmas presents for the wife and child
4. a years supply of decent craft beer (and a trip the doctor about the weight gain circa July obviously)

I do have a preference but interested in what others think...

Enjoy your evening.
Jay

1=3 ;)

Also, #4 is a necessity rather than an option.

Even the cheapest digital multimeter is a handy thing to have around so I'd recommend getting one either way.

In the meantime, swap the red with the white wire on the cartridge, and the green with the blue. If the same channel is out, the problem is with the wiring. If the other channel is out it's the cartridge.

Reactions: jay
This is strange, my first Delos went low output on the left channel and also there was almost no surface noise comimg through either, like pops and clicks. My new one is the perfect on both channels.

I enquired about sending it away to be looked at but it would have had to go to Japan and would have cost ££££££££s as it was out if warranty.

Yes, indeed. If you upgrade you get get a Kleos for £1495 as I almost bought one as they give you a like for like exchange even with a Delos trade in.

This is strange, my first Delos went low output on the left channel and also there was almost no surface noise comimg through either, like pops and clicks. My new one is the perfect on both channels.

I enquired about sending it away to be looked at but it would have had to go to Japan and would have cost ££££££££s as it was out if warranty.

Sorry for clarity, I will need to pony up for an exchange...

advertisement

Back