advertisement

Bookshelf speakers that will fit and work well on a bookshelf.

mandryka

pfm Member
Hello

I want a pair of speakers to sit on a bookshelf, no more than 12" high. They'll be like book ends! Right up against the wall. I intend to drive them with a Quad 303, and either a passive preamp or a Quad 33. I listen mostly to very small scale classical music, so I don't need a thumping bass.

I haven't thought about budget really, but something around the £500 mark would be fine.

Any suggestions?

I'm now looking up at some Bose 301s, mid-70s, in the top of the bookshelf. They were "supposed" to lay on their long side, with the tweeter on the outside and an adjustable reflector vane to send the "tweets" where you wanted them. At least that was the idea. I'm very happy with them in the study with a tuner and a Marantz 1070 amp.

I had them at the same time as Harbeth P3ESR and they were very happy next to the wall in a way the Harbeths weren't. They just didn't seem to resonate in the same way. They'll play small scale orchestral beautifully.

An even better match for the 303 however, would be the Snell K Mk1, but they may be too tall for you? I used them on top of a mantelpiece and it worked very well.

I've had two pairs now, but sold them on when I moved to bigger rooms. They're excellent value when you consider what the Audio Note versions cost (2K+)

Linn 109 work very well on a bookshelf; I've used them in my office and like them a lot nearfield. In the same position more fashionable speakers like Harbeth P3ESR or Kef LS50 do not work at all.

Linn 109 work very well on a bookshelf; I've used them in my office and like them a lot nearfield. In the same position more fashionable speakers like Harbeth P3ESR or Kef LS50 do not work at all.

Thanks, the ones on ebay now are slightly more than I really want to pay . . . but we shall see.

advertisement

Back