advertisement

Bob Moog RIP

Tony L

Administrator
Robert Moog died of a brain tumour yesterday. He leaves a great legacy, his instruments changed the face of music. RIP.

Tony.

Yep - he contributed a new sound to music.
The brand name was brought back recently.
(I've always wanted some Taurus pedals - no idea what I'd do with them though!).

Hi,

Sad news. His developements lead to a lot of changes in music and allowed many people to carry out these changes.

Here's the record by Wendy/Walter Carlos that kicked started it all.

Switched_On_Bach.jpg

This helped to popularise synth music to a wide market. It was the first platinum selling classical album.

Dean

Sad news indeed. The Moog name was like 'Hoover' in the synth world. I've owned a Mini, Prodigy and Source and always fancied a MemoryMoog (but common sense usually sets in.

It rhymes with 'Vogue' by the way. There was an ad in the '70s that read something like;

'Be in vogue, get a Moog'

prowla said:
Yep - he contributed a new sound to music.
idea what I'd do with them though!).

Accompany old Genesis albums?

:D

taurus.jpg

Stephen.

I've owned a Mini, Prodigy and Source and always fancied a MemoryMoog (but common sense usually sets in.

The pink fish quartet had a Polymoog (complete with chrome legs!) and a Prodigy amongst a sea of other kit. I’ve also had a Liberation, Source and several Prodigys pass through when I was buying and selling synths, though sadly never managed to own either a Minimoog or Memorymoog, though have played with both at length. Superb kit all of it.

More details on the passing of Bob Moog on www.moogmusic.com and www.caringbridge.com/visit/bobmoog

Tony.

Tony, I hate the PolyMoog with a passion!

Why? It makes some bloody great noises. There were two versions, the Polymoog Keyboard and the Polymoog Synthesiser, both have their strengths (I’ve had both), the synth has much, much more control, but the keyboard has one absolutely kick ass preset called Vox Humana or something – a really spacey trippy choir / organ thing. I love the ribbon controller too. Ok they hissed like hell and the tuning was, shall we say, relative, but I love the things!

moopoly01sm.jpg

A PolyMoog also has a nice flat top too so is a great place to stack stuff – at one stage I had a Korg Trident, a MS20 and a EMS Synthi AKS on top of the Polymoog. My kind of rig! I later sold the Polymoog to a guy out of Tubeway Army who had regretted selling his years back (the Polymoog was a very big part of their sound). A good bit of kit.

And I thought you were cool :confused:

The liberation passed through the shop. The thought of strapping a synth on and prancing about like a tit would never enter my head, it's a shame as it actually made a half decent noise.

Tony.

Here's a snippet from the Moog's second commercial recorded appearance:

The Zodiac - Cosmic Sounds as played by Paul Beaver in 1967. The Moog was overdubbed to make eerie sounds.

Switched-On Bach is indeed a tour-de-force and hasn't dated at all.

Tony L said:
Why? It makes some bloody great noises.

I have 4 words for you 'Going for the one'

Horrible. A friend had one that I played on some sessions. Horrible, horrible. It's not even a proper synth. It's an organ with one (one!) filter!!

The liberation passed through the shop. The thought of strapping a synth on and prancing about like a tit would never enter my head, it's a shame as it actually made a half decent noise.

Tony.

That's me then. :p ...it was the '80s

me1.jpg

me2.jpg

Stephen

Tony L said:
A PolyMoog also has a nice flat top too so is a great place to stack stuff –

Tony.

Great. A 2 grand table. I'd rather have a round-top Rhodes - even though my PolySix fell off it once!

Stephen

I have 4 words for you 'Going for the one'

Come on, you can’t blame Bob Moog for Rick Wakeman. No one deserves that, least of all the recently departed. No matter how cool the instrument Wakeman could always get it to sound like a Bontempi from Woolworths. If you want to hear a Polymoog try Tubeway Army – it is the entire string and pad sounds heard on the first few LPs and would fit beautifully into today's electronica.

It's not even a proper synth. It's an organ with one (one!) filter!!

Wrong. It plays a slight trick with it’s two oscillators in that they are linked but it has a separate VCA & VCF for each key – I’ve seen inside Polymoogs (as has anyone who owned one as they always broke down!) and there is a separate circuit board for each key. 71 of them!

Polymoog Specifications

Oscillators: 2 (71-pitch ranks; slaved to precision VCO) giving saw and pulse waveforms.
Articulators: 142 (VCA and VCF for each key).
Frequency range: E1 - D7 71 note keyboard: Pitch ribbon and external frequency control give maximum of ± 1 octave pitch control.
Pitch stability: ±0.2% (± 1/3 cent).
Pitch ribbon range: ±7 semitones minimum.
Fine tune range: ±1 semitone.
Beat tune range: ± 1/4 semitone.

(Take the pitch stability with a huge pinch of salt!)

How to repair your Polymoog in Japanese here.

Tony.

PS pfq also had a Moog Rogue at one point.

Tony L said:
Come on, you can’t blame Bob Moog for Rick Wakeman.

True. Did he ever play a black note?

Wrong. It plays a slight trick with it’s two oscillators in that they are linked but it has a separate VCA & VCF for each key – I’ve seen inside Polymoogs (as has anyone who owned one as they always broke down!) and there is a separate circuit board for each key. 71 of them!
That'll teach me to spout without checking first. Still sounds like an organ though. I went round to a friends last night who has one; he's had it since they came out, to remind myself and to see if time had been kind to my recollections of the PM. I sat. I played. I hated! He has a nice Hammond A100 though.......

pfq also had a Moog Rogue at one point.

Never had a Rogue - though I love most analogue mono synthesisers. Someone pissed on my Moog Source once and it survived though. Great engineering.

Stephen

I went round to a friends last night who has one; he's had it since they came out, to remind myself and to see if time had been kind to my recollections of the PM. I sat. I played. I hated!

The Polymoog is one of those instruments that just isn’t an all rounder in any sense – it would be an awful keyboard for someone who only had one keyboard. The reason I like it is that it makes a couple of sounds that are simply impossible to get out of anything else. In a way it’s like a TB303; it does a couple of things that are odd, quirky, strangely cool and not available elsewhere. Looked in the context of it’s original price the Poly was pretty poor value, but by saying that it was the only ‘proper’ poly synth available. We got ours very cheaply second hand in about 1989, I think it cost 125 quid and we made about three or four times that back when we eventually shifted it. I liked it.

Someone pissed on my Moog Source once and it survived though. Great engineering.

How on earth do you get in a situation where someone pisses on your Moog? I’ve owned a hell of a lot of synths over the years and thankfully all have escaped urine damage!

Tony.

Tony L said:
We got ours very cheaply second hand in about 1989, I think it cost 125 quid and we made about three or four times that back when we eventually shifted it. I liked it.

We'll have to agree to disagree. ;)

How on earth do you get in a situation where someone pisses on your Moog? I’ve owned a hell of a lot of synths over the years and thankfully all have escaped urine damage!

Tony.

It was waiting to be loaded into a flight case at the Marquee club in London and someone just peed on it! I was glad of that plastic casing......

Stephen

stephen bennett said:
It was waiting to be loaded into a flight case at the Marquee club in London and someone just peed on it! I was glad of that plastic casing......
Shame it wasn't still plugged in!

advertisement

Back