advertisement

Blue Planet II in 4K.

There is a list of suitable TVs here. Can’t help wishing they would upgrade iPlayer to 1080 first though. Or maybe that’s just me being bitter because I don’t have either a 4K TV or sufficient broadband speed (they say 23Mbps) for the stream.

My telly is on there, bonus. I'm hoping our 12 meg connection is good enough. It works well enough with Amazon and Netflix 4K material.

Ditto my new box (panel) there is a beta version of HD iPlayer - type of shop demo - but rather impressive of slowmo water droplets being flicked off leaves and insects.

We watched the 2 BBC demo's the other night in Ultra HD. The one with the Tiger by the river and another which I think is from Blue planet. Incredible quality, really leagues away from normal HD, and I felt it was even better than the 4k offerings on Amazon.

Thing is we are stuck forever it seems with the old GPO phone lines and a speed of 10mps, yet the picture seems as I say truly fabulous.

I wonder if the 23mps recommended is gospel when it becomes available?

We will find out in a few days. If they allow buffering it shouldn't be an issue. I'll press pause then put the kettle on :)

It's up and running, and works fine with my poxy 12mb/sec broadband.

Looks pretty stunning on the whole.

I was getting buffering when trying to watch the 4K version direct from iPlayer on the TV, then I tried to watch the HD version of Grand Tour from Amazon Prime and that was OK, so I will have to revisit the iPlayer 4K again at a less peak time. The download speed is reported to be 66.9 Mbps by the Samknows monitor program.

I was getting buffering when trying to watch the 4K version direct from iPlayer on the TV, then I tried to watch the HD version of Grand Tour from Amazon Prime and that was OK, so I will have to revisit the iPlayer 4K again at a less peak time. The download speed is reported to be 66.9 Mbps by the Samknows monitor program.

The only time it buffered for me was when I refreshed email on my iPhone. Marginal for us at 12 meg, I'm guessing.

On our Panasonic telly, in the iPlayer app, I have to scroll down past Blue Planet II etc to the bottom, and Blue Planet II UHD has its own line with all episodes.

Search in iPlayer for UHD, you should see it then.

Annoyingly I can see it, and select it, but it doesn’t play back in HDR - I’m assuming it’s still in 4k. I think that’s because my TV doesn’t support the type of HDR the Beeb are using.

If your telly is compatable then iPlayer will give you the option to view in UHD, if it doesn't give you the option then you are out of luck.
I have a 2017 Sony with the latest HLG firmware updates and mine won't play it in UHD so I contacted the BBC to ask why and the reply was it's work in progress and is your telly listed in the compatable list etc.
Waste of time when a current model UHD tv is incompatabe, thank goodness for the likes of Netflix.

advertisement

Back