advertisement

Blue Note Review subscription

I'm not sure what to make of this new boxed set subscription service Blue Note have launched.

http://www.bluenotereview.com

The presentation is lovely but $200 seems an awful lot for a scarf(!), a repress of an LP that can be had for £10 on Discogs and a pretty uninspiring compilation album.

I agree, a rediculous price for what it is. In reality though, I suppose that they have done research that says that they will manage to sell the subs.

IMO a big piece of marketing BS from Don Was, the head of Blue Note. BN nowadays is a lackluster label bankrupt of new ideas; their current roster of artists is pretty pathetic and mediocre and is a big comedown from its heydays. It's just trying to live off mining the great output of the 50s-60s.

I just wish they would at least reissue some of the more obscure and forgotten albums from the past instead of the same old ones.

I ordered this and received it Jan 3rd .I unfortunately duplicated the order which I cancelled straight away,BlueNote informed me that they had done this and would refund my card but it takes between 5/10 working days...I waited and waited still no refund ,I thought is it because of the holidays etc.. Jan 3rd a second box set arrived, I contacted BN and got a range of excuses ,all of which I counter replied to saying that I could see through their excuses giving a better argument back ...
I now have the second box set unopened and for sale if anyone is interested...
The one I opened is limited edition no 1451/1500 so I imagine this is close to a sellout ..
It is easier for me to sell it than to go through their procedure of returning it as I have lost complete faith with their ordering /returning system..

Michael Fremer reviews it in his Xmas box set round-up:

Seems to like it, though isn’t convinced by the mastering of one of the discs.

advertisement

Back