1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Big Eats in Manchester

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Brian, Apr 28, 2012.

1. Richard S

Richard S pfm Member

Bar Fringe on Swan St is my recommendation for beer in the Northern Quarter.

2. jirka

jirka pfm Member

Dont waste your time in rain city . not rain town

Bye pass it , travel on to Liverpool ,better pubs and resturants by far

3. deanf

deanf pfm Member

Falls off his chair laughing :D

4. Pete the Feet

Pete the Feet pfm Member

I don't think Peveril of the peak is open at lunchtime at weekends, not sure about weekdays.

5. BlueEyes

BlueEyes pfm Member

I can't comment on the restaurants in Liverpool but as a Manchester lad who has partaken in a pub crawl through the centre of Liverpool it blows Manchester away IMO.

Manchester has knocked down a lot of it's old pubs and replaced them with steel and glass footballer's wives wine bars whilst Liverpool albeit a poorer city in monetary terms has a cheerfulness that the city of Manchester has lost and has retained a lot it's old pubs simply because they haven't gotten round to knocking them down yet and building WAG's Bars in their place.

The best pub in Liverpool? The Baltic Fleet on Wapping near the Albert Dock with it's own micro-brewery.

6. Pete the Feet

Pete the Feet pfm Member

The man who has the Armenian Taverna has had a restaurant in Manchester for the last 35 years. He is an ex olympic wrestler [Armenian of course] and has a bit of the Robert de Nero look about him. Quite an interesting chap.
    My other half recommended the place to her boss and after trying it out he took all his family there for birthday celebrations.
    Great food and good and reasonably priced house wine too.

7. jirka

jirka pfm Member

Must agree with your comments, Baltic still going strong.also
    Liverpool One brewery
    Manchester could be renamed Wags City on the banks of the
    picturesque River Irwell

Come on Manchester boys,let us know, if you have any another good pubs, other than the Marble

Most people i am imformed will be found on the curry mile ,or the Canal street
    bar area

8. Northwest

Northwest pfm Member

Well, being a highly developed carnivore, Bem Brazil gets my vote. If you have not been to one of these establishments, the deal is: You get a Red one side-Green the other beer mat type thingy then when you have it Green side up, that is an invitation for the waiter/waitress type person to serve yyou more meat. Red of course means give me a break for a minute. It operates on a one price buys all principle - bit like a Buffet - but the meat is terrific, Steak (different cuts), Pork, Chicken and so on all carved from the skewer at your table. The big bonus for me is it is an 'all you can eat' deal.
    It works for me anyway:cool:

9. jimi

jimi pfm Member

There are loads of decent traditional ale houses in Gods own city it just shows that some people do not know Manchester as well as they think they do.

10. jirka

jirka pfm Member

Loads of, thats Sundays laugh
    Were name em ?
    Have a peep at gbg l/pool and m/c

Seems Wetherspoons has more real ales than your trad ale houses
    Holts, Hydes. Lees , swill, not to mention on the borders Robbies gut rot

Happy drinking in Manchester ha ha

11. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

a beer expert obviously.
    LOL!

12. Pete the Feet

Pete the Feet pfm Member

I don't doubt Liverpool may be better but that's not the point of the post is it.

13. jimi

jimi pfm Member

You obviously have not got a clue what you are talking about.

14. Pete the Feet

Pete the Feet pfm Member

Come on girls less of the falling out its driving people away from the forum.
    Now urgent recommendations required as I am in central Manchester and need a change from the City.

15. jimi

jimi pfm Member

OOH R U calling a girl!!!!

16. Martin J

Martin J pfm Member

Pete,

+1 for Mr Thomas's Chop House mentioned above. I haven't been for quite a few years but the food was always top notch.

For good steak I like Gouchos:
    http://www.gauchorestaurants.co.uk/restaurants/restaurant.php?id=manchester

For Chinese the Yang Sing is good but huge:
    http://www.yang-sing.com/restaurant/index.php
    Sweet Mandarin in the Northern Quarter is small and won a Ramsey award of some kind:
    http://www.sweetmandarin.com/

For Italian San Carlos is good but always busy:
    http://www.sancarlo.co.uk/manchester

Can't help with Indian but as already mentioned a huge choice in Rusholme on the curry mile.

Cheers,
    Martin

17. Pedro83

Pedro83 pfm Member

Jai Kathmandu in Northenden, even the residents of didsbury travel to go there.

18. Pedro83

Pedro83 pfm Member

didn't yang sing get 2/10 on their H&S audit?

19. Pete the Feet

Pete the Feet pfm Member

Just got back ome. Tried the Corbiere, good beer and great jukebox. Bumped into some neighbours from where we used to live in Littleborough.
    Then onto the City Arms.
    Tea, or should I say dinner for the benefit of the southerners was in Wagamammas. The Mrs is a vegan, so the chop houses are best avoided. I almost went in Sam's but she phoned me to ask of my whereabouts!