advertisement

Best S/H £500ish small loudspeaker

The room is small say 10 X10

I think your chance of finding something better than JR149s is minimal. Just give up now and settle for what you've got, which are all time classics after all. Believe me, searching for the ideal speaker for a room that's smaller than ideal is a massive headache, so if you've got something that works, stick with it.

This might seem a bit left field but have you considered a pair of 2nd hand Shahinian Compass speakers? I have a pair in my second system and they have a very small footprint, aren't fussy about placement and take up less room than the previous pair of stand mounted bookshelf speakers or low slung Super Elf's. They are the least fussy or demanding (in terms of placement) speaker I have ever used.

Some great suggestions for me to research.

Some speakers I have never heard of and some good common sense too.

Thank you one and all for taking to time to reply.

Just what I wanted thanks

If you're looking for a really small speaker, I'd recommend the AVI Neutron - it won loads of awards and can be found for around £200 or maybe less. The later versions are better I have the Neutron IVs in a second system driven by a Croft hybrid integrated - only 30 wpc - and they sound great - big soundstage and a bass which belies their size.

I was going to suggest AVi Neutron, I have the fives, lovely speakers, and a very natural presentation. They sound really good on the end of a Quad 306. They crossover high up, so a lot of the artefact is out of the vocal range, and the tweeter is a gem. They’re happy working about 30cm from my walls. Very good at classical and jazz, and happy to rock out if required. I particularly like their natural timbres. That’s very important to me. A violin has to sound like a violin. No stunt bass either. They’re not a hard drive, but they did prove a bit too much for a Quad 303 when compared to a 306.

Just after a few candidates for a short list of the best small loudspeaker available on the second hand market around £500ish.
Not into rock or metal but after good imaging and realistic vocals. Decent power handling too.
Shahainian super elves, Leema Xen are already on the list.

Any views or opinions would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

How about Quad S1? Great on vocals and nice and open sound.:)

Some great suggestions for me to research.

Some speakers I have never heard of and some good common sense too.

Thank you one and all for taking to time to reply.

Just what I wanted thanks

Best of luck as you explore the options. Those 149s should not be pushed aside lightly! I’ll take first refusal if you make the wrong choice ;)

It's a shame we don't have a speaker library where you can take a pair home for two weeks just to give them a try.

Just a idea ��

It's a shame we don't have a speaker library where you can take a pair home for two weeks just to give them a try.

Just a idea ��

In all seriousness, once folk get to know folk, offers to go have a listen are not uncommon - or bake-offs arranged - though actually lending speakers may be step too far :)

Yes that's a great part of these forums.

I had just started going onto hifi wigwam and a couple of guys loaned me some serious bits of kit to try out. I didn't ask but they made the offer and I was amazed and humbled by it. Some great people out there.

Now that you mention Leema, once I had their Xero mini speaker, guess it was developed as a cheaper Xen

Nevertheless a splendid little speaker, one I sometime miss, only culprit is biwire which I hate and lack of the very deep octaves, but definately have the advantages you search and should be available within budget

Can't recall how close to wall placement they managed

Another choice could be some Neat Motive 3, I have a pair for sale ��

Surely you can get a s/h pair of ATC SCM7s well within your budget - I sold a pair of the earlier versions for much less. Great speakers.

Another one has been thrown into the ring - Scansonic MB1s.- although maybe a tad over budget now I have looked

advertisement

Back