advertisement

Best place/quality for 60/40 solder

laverda

pfm Member
Anyone have a preferred supplier for 60/40 solder. I'm just about to run out of a reel 500g 0.7mm Crystal 505 (its lasted some years) price has risen since I bought the last roll...as it does...

TIA

I prefer the thicker wire is it 1.5mm?? Also there are at least 3 grades of flux reactivity. A manufacturer will aways use the least possible with brand new fresh parts. A diy dude will want something more aggressive to use with the spares box, and make sure you clean work after soldering. I have some of both grades. The stronger was maplins, 20+ years ago. My general purpose Ersin multicore was military surplus I think.

I like the Eutectic stuff when I can find it.
Otherwise I've been using radial fondam 60/40, nice to work with, until a recent move of country and no availability.
I ordered in some Loctite 60/40 which is quite inferior.
Another roll of 0.5mm in the box intended for smd, brand mbo, total rubbish.

My favorite solder is 0.8mm Kester SN60PB40 #66/245 (Organic Flux) - No Clean

I have used it for the last 22 years in manufacturing and in the DIY hobby. I won't use anything else!

Regards
Peter

My favorite solder is 0.8mm Kester SN60PB40 #66/245 (Organic Flux) - No Clean

I have used it for the last 22 years in manufacturing and in the DIY hobby. I won't use anything else!

Regards
Peter

If you're a skilled solderer, the 60/40 is fine. If not, or if you hate to chase down cold solder joints, the eutectic is better to work with (same with any metals, assuming the properties are adequate for the application, and 63/37 is) as it allows for a lower chance of over-temperature application.

It's even more of an advantage if you are using lead-free formulas (eg: Cardas) and don't have a good variable-temperature iron and a good handle on what temps to set.

Agree on Kester brand for any leaded formula, simply the best and not particularly expensive.

I use this stuff:
http://cpc.farnell.com/multicore-so...MIiOOw_d3p2AIVChMbCh3BKg_REAkYAiABEgKAC_D_BwE

As I understand it you need a small amount of Ag for soldering to gold flash/plated surfaces otherwise the joint can become brittle**. The low melting point also means less chance of overheating components and this stuff wets really well. Flux is easy enough to clean with isopropyl alcohol and it doesn't spit hot flux at you.

** Can anyone confirm this is true?

No need for Ag in solder as pads should only have a very thin Au coating which will be consumed into the joint and so you won't get the intermetallic plague at the interface.
Some run solder over the pads before and wick it off just to be sure but it's not necessary and you risk lifted pads if repeatedly heating pads intended for smd stuff.

advertisement

Back