advertisement

Best of Pioneer HPM speakers

ex brickie

pfm Member
I have acquired a range of Pioneer stuff inc turntable and reel to reel ranging from around 1978-80 and would like a pair of HPM range speakers that are authentic to the period.

Does anyone here have experience of some different models and can comment on any significant differences in sound quality? The HPM 60 and 100 seem to be quite expensive for their age. HPM 500 (seemingly not as old as the others) less expensive. There are models of 700 upwards too

Any views on relative sound quality merits? I know about the risks of failed foam surrounds - which ones are fabric surrounds?

At some point I might put a Wanted ad out there but would like some info first

HPM-100 were all the rage over on AudioKarma a decade ago (they may well still be, as I haven't visited the forum in years), so much so that I bought a pair to go with my SX-1250 monster receiver. Maybe the HPMs I bought were poorly, but I was very disappointed with their thin/bright/nasal presentation. This was long before I had the ability to perform frequency response measurements, but I reckon they were very forward/peaky in the upper mids and lower treble and lacked air and sparkle in the top octave. Again maybe I just got a dud pair of 100s but I moved them on very quickly and was glad to return to my IMFs and Ditton 66s which were much easier going on my ears. I still have my SX-1250 though!...

advertisement

Back