1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Best LP 1989?

Discussion in 'music' started by Natara, Aug 9, 2017.

?

Best LP 1989?

Poll closed Aug 30, 2017.
  1. The Stone Roses - The Stone Roses

26 vote(s)
    30.6%
  2. The Pixies - Doolittle

19 vote(s)
    22.4%
  3. The Cure - Disintegration

8 vote(s)
    9.4%
  4. Tom Petty - Full Moon Fever

7 vote(s)
    8.2%
  5. De La Soul - 3 Feet High and Rising

3 vote(s)
    3.5%
  6. Nine Inch Nails - Pretty Hate Machine

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Nirvana - Bleach

2 vote(s)
    2.4%
  8. Lou Reed - New York

8 vote(s)
    9.4%
  9. New Order - Technique

8 vote(s)
    9.4%
  10. Soul II Soul - Club Classics Vol 1

4 vote(s)
    4.7%
  1. Weekender

Weekender pfm Member

At the time I would probably have said Technique but I havent listened to it in years...so Lou Reed.
    I never rated the Roses either: Hermin's Hermits.

2. Tarzan

Tarzan pfm Member

With gold bells on- amazing LP.:cool:

3. deek

deek pfm Member

YES!!! another repulsion fan on PFM. bring on the best metal/grind album vote....

4. Nick_G

Nick_G pfm Member

New Order was my favourite on the list of choices but this 808 State LP was released in late 1989 and is fantastic:

https://www.discogs.com/808-State-Ninety/master/25413

5. Spiderous

Spiderous pfm Member

Hearing Doolittle for the first time was pretty much a life-changing experience for mecas far as my musical tastes go. Before that point It was basically MOR, prog, spliffs, and a very limited exposure to a wide range of music. Doolittle got me into Indie, then dance, techno and so.

The intro to Debaser still makes me jump around like a nutcase

6. paulfromcamden

paulfromcamden Baffled

Haha - good to know I'm not alone!

Some amazing records released in 1989...

Obituary - Slowly We Rot
    Autopsy - Severed Survival
    Morbid Angel - Altars Of Madness
    Terrorizer - World Downfall

It was a great time to be 16 :)

7. Mullardman

Mullardman Resident Philistine

:D :D :D

8. deek

deek pfm Member

I still play those records (and wear my Earache shirt with pride) :) I don't own any Autopsy LP's unfortunately. I will fix this TODAY!

9. FireMoon

FireMoon pfm Member

I was surprised how dated the Stone Roses album sounds today. Awash with 80s chuffin' reverb and therefore lacking any real punch or clarity. That's ignoring it's literally, a "Can for the educationally challenged" album from start to finish.

Louder Than Love was released in 89 and thankfully, signalled the end of poodle perm rock.

Compilation it may be however "Eternity- Project One" probably deserves to be on that list.

10. Natara

Natara pfm Member

The Stone Roses 'Fools Gold' is an absolute modern CLASSIC! but that LP just didn't resonate with me at all but predictably it is way out in front with The Pixies in second.

11. Weekender

Weekender pfm Member

Musically Fools Gold is just Funky Drummer with wah wah.

12. Mullardman

The whole album was shallow drivel and the eventual follow up was even drivelerer..

13. Natara

Natara pfm Member

Yes but at the time that combination with Ian Brown's vocals was quite an original concept and proved ispirational to some musician's.

14. Mullardman

Like these? ;)

[YOUTUBE]ld1vQVoaQIM[/YOUTUBE]

15. FireMoon

FireMoon pfm Member

[YOUTUBE]YmN9oHa3ZIQ[/YOUTUBE]

16. Natara

Natara pfm Member

No nothing like those at all. ;)

17. lsinclair

lsinclair file under 'curmudgeonly'

Ian Brown's vocals were quite an original concept on their own.

18. Natara

Natara pfm Member

Agreed and nothing like John Congo's above

19. RickyC6

RickyC6 Infuriate the frog-men

I think there may be some irony being missed here...

20. Natara

Natara pfm Member

I was always a bit thick when it came to irony so if my irony radar is off again could one of the more intelligent pfm's point it out to me.