advertisement

Best Bruckner (Conductors)

1 - Solti/CSO
2 - don't really get it
3 - Karajan/VPO
4 - Bohm/VPO
5 - Chailly/Concertgebouw or Abbado/Lucerne or Haitink/BRSO
6 - Horst Stein/VPO or Jochum/Concertgebouw
7 - Haitink/Concertgebouw (1970s) or Ozawa/Saito Kinen Orch.
8 - Boulez/VPO or Wand/NDR SO
9 - Wand/NDR SO or Guilini/VPO or Luisi/Dresden Staatskapelle

Shame that people don't include the Masses or Te Deum.... Mathew Best and Corydon ensemble do them all pretty well but Colin Davis & BRSO are great in the big F-Minor Mass. Haitink did a great Te Deum with the Vienna Phil in late 1980s but can't find it now.

4th - Walter / Columbia
5th - Wand / Hamburg
7th - Matacic / Czech, Tintner / Royal Scotland, Blomstedt / Dresden, Giulini / Vienna, Wand / Cologne, Karajan / Vienna
8th - Wand / Cologne
9th - Giulini / Vienna

Radio Three's Composer of the Week will be Bruckner in the coming week, with the always-excellent Donald Macleod investigating five different aspects of the decidedly odd life of the Marmite of composers at midday each day.

For those who don't "get" Bruckner, perhaps these programmes would be a good way into his music? As one who got Bruckner from the very first hearing* the rewards of discovering his music are immeasurable. But then I would say that... and I love Marmite too :)

* his 7th symphony, borrowed from school on the Turnabout LP conducted by Hans Rosbaud in 1972 or thereabouts

I have been quite impressed by the Philharmoniker Hamburg and Simone Young in nos 1, 5 and 9 in last couple of years. Good recordings too on the Oehms label.

advertisement

Back