advertisement

Bass Boom in Corner

jimbob75

pfm Member
I've repositioned my left speaker so that both speakers are now either side of the TV, since I use them whilst watching films etc.

However, I have noticed a bit of bass boom on some recordings which I presume is due to the fact that the left hand speaker is now in a corner. It is 20cm from the side wall and 30cm from the back wall, and situated close to the oak TV unit on its right. I cannot free up any more space without moving the speaker back to where it was, ie both speakers to the right of the unit.

The speakers are Quad 22L2, which I have heard described as bass heavy, although I have had no problem up until now.

Short of new speakers is there any way to alleviate this boom? It is annoying because on good recordings deep bass is just fine and dandy.

You just need to discover the frequency of the resonance. and reduce it with a little EQ, what are your sources?
Keith.

I've repositioned my left speaker so that both speakers are now either side of the TV, since I use them whilst watching films etc.

However, I have noticed a bit of bass boom on some recordings which I presume is due to the fact that the left hand speaker is now in a corner. It is 20cm from the side wall and 30cm from the back wall, and situated close to the oak TV unit on its right. I cannot free up any more space without moving the speaker back to where it was, ie both speakers to the right of the unit.

The speakers are Quad 22L2, which I have heard described as bass heavy, although I have had no problem up until now.

Short of new speakers is there any way to alleviate this boom? It is annoying because on good recordings deep bass is just fine and dandy.

According to this website http://www.audioaffair.co.uk/Quad-22L2-Speakers-Pair/product_1948?ref=gmc they need to be 'exactly 350mm from a rear wall, the in-room response is flat to this level, with no compromise of the mid-range or high-frequencies.'

Generally, bass reflex (ported) speakers need more space around them than infinite baffle (sealed box) which are more likely to be 'bass tuned' to sound best with they backs closer to a wall.

Most speakers also benefit from being well clear of corner placement (I believe 'horn loaded' are an exception).

I know it is not always possible but when choosing speakers it's best to only consider those that will fit-in with the room rather than trying to make the room fit-in with the speakers.

Maybe get it out of the corner? Or make a bass trap and place this in the corner behind the speaker. I have a friend who made some out of a 2m length of 60mm diameter tubing with multiple 10mm diameter holes drilled in it and then stuffed with a rolled up strip of high density foam. He swears it brought out the best in his bass so i am presuming it would also tame a bloated one. A sock in the port could also do this. I had a similar issue with my treble and once the offending speaker was taken out of the corner the problem went. Good luck.
Ian,

Thanks for suggestions.

I've never had a problem with the rear wall affecting bass, it seems to be a corner issue. I think perhaps 500mm would be desirable but as mentioned I am constricted.

I half-heartedly tried a sock in the port and it didn't seem to make a difference - perhaps I'll give it another go (at the very least it'll give the wife a good laugh).

I suspect a bass trap or some heavy material behind the speaker on the wall would help.

advertisement

Back