advertisement

Balanced XLR and Speakon speaker cable... the truth please

RikC

pfm Member
I’m pretty tired and jaded with faffing about with cables so at the moment I have a pair of Van Damme quadstar balanced XLRs connecting my Mytek Brooklyn to a pair of Amphion AMP100 mono amps. And a pair of Van Damme speakon speaker cables hooking the amps into a pair of Amphion Argon 3S. Total cost of this loom is £100. And I don’t think I need anything more. I get that with unbalanced cables that the cable itself may influence SQ but is that still the same with balanced?

Nice speakers, I used to own the Argon2 and then the Argon3. IMO XLRs don't have a 'sound', they just connect bits together and are a well-sorted connection. However, I do find speaker cables and RCAs to have a more audible impact. It's all very slight though, unless there is an obvious mismatch.

I’m pretty tired and jaded with faffing about with cables so at the moment I have a pair of Van Damme quadstar balanced XLRs connecting my Mytek Brooklyn to a pair of Amphion AMP100 mono amps. And a pair of Van Damme speakon speaker cables hooking the amps into a pair of Amphion Argon 3S. Total cost of this loom is £100. And I don’t think I need anything more. I get that with unbalanced cables that the cable itself may influence SQ but is that still the same with balanced?

I have got Van Damme Tour Grade Classic XKE starquad with Neutrik XX silver plated XLR plugs and sockets driving ATC 50ASL`s and the sound quality of my system is stunningly good. You have a world class cable setup, so keep it as it is. If you are in any doubt and can get to Hereford,
Come and have a listen to what they are capable of :)

Balanced XLR interconnects and speakon speaker cable? Isn't that what the pros use in the studio, so it can't be any good! They don't know anything about real audiophile quality! :)

I use mainly the free interconnects that come with CD players etc as cables make no difference beyond peoples imaginations....

True, though you could spend ££££ K on some 'proper' audiophile cables as Christmas is coming :rolleyes:.

This video shows a benefit of quad core over twin core,so you are already there.

Why do other cable companies not produce videos to show how technically superior they may be ??

I have applied switches with cables and direct connections. I have found that speaker cables do make a difference, but they always get things more wrong than right. Zip cord gets pretty close to a direct connection, however i have found they soften the highs just a little.

Just recently i applied a RCA switch on my interconnects compared to a direct connection. The difference was extremely hard to tell. So very small that i would not care to worry about. I trust that standard XLR cable would be very unlikely to tell the difference with. But i have yet to apply a switch for that yet.

Here is a post of mine detailing comparisons of popular cables against a direct connection. If you are using standard cables such as van dam, nac a5 or zip cord. I would worry very little about what you are missing out on, because the difference is so small.

True, though you could spend ££££ K on some 'proper' audiophile cables as Christmas is coming :rolleyes:.

This video shows a benefit of quad core over twin core,so you are already there.

Why do other cable companies not produce videos to show how technically superior they may be ??

That bloke would be more convincing if he had managed to record a video that used both loudspeakers.

I would love to hear EMI and RFI in stereo so you could hear the precise location of the source in the soundstage.

Thanks folks. Yep, this has confirmed my thoughts :)

Ahhhh.... to have escaped (temporarily) from the audiophile 'merry'-go-round...

Nice speakers, I used to own the Argon2 and then the Argon3. IMO XLRs don't have a 'sound', they just connect bits together and are a well-sorted connection. However, I do find speaker cables and RCAs to have a more audible impact. It's all very slight though, unless there is an obvious mismatch.

Yes, I'm really enjoying the Argons.... I like transparent speakers and these have that in spades (so to speak). Very happy.

advertisement

Back