advertisement

Bach - Gigue Fugue, BWV 577

George J

Herefordshire member
Here are two lovely performances of this delightful and joyful piece ...

Both are lucid and full of energy, but also quite different from each other. How wonderful that great music can shine so brightly when different facets are focussed on by the player! Both videos will take you just under eight minutes. Please do enjoy them.

Best wishes from George

Is there a CD or download (not MP3) of the Bridgewater Hall piece? I've had a quick look at his website and can't find one.
EDIT: Found it, it's on the Autumn CD. :cool:

Jonathan Scott is just right imo. I'm thinking of all the ways I could destroy it if I ever got round to learning it.

Of course, no thread about the 577 is complete without the old jigmaster himself...

Jonathan Scott is just right imo. I'm thinking of all the ways I could destroy it if I ever got round to learning it.

Of course, no thread about the 577 is complete without the old jigmaster himself...

Dear Nic,

JS Bach wrote some of the most serious music ever ... by anyone, but he was more often much more jolly. Nowhere more so than here, perhaps!

I enjoy your linked video very much. This side of Bach needs to be encountered more often, so as to debunk the wrong headed notion that he composed only musical barbed wire! I forced someone I know to listen to half an hour of jolly Bach before they would admit there was more to Bach than they had [hitherto] known! They seemed to have decided to hate Bach without a proper examination of the musical evidence. Immediately afterwards I gave them the first Bach CDs they would own. Trevor Pinnock's Brandenburg Concertos on Archiv. Now this person has become a Bach enthusiast though they have to not spread investigations any other classical composer's music. Surprisingly unadventurous in my view!

Best wishes from George

Good work George. The thing about Bach for me is he's the finest baroque craftsman, (early) classical formalist, and romantic composer all rolled into one. I could probably manage without the music of any single composer, excepting this one.

Good work George. The thing about Bach for me is he's the finest baroque craftsman, (early) classical formalist, and romantic composer all rolled into one. I could probably manage without the music of any single composer, excepting this one.

Dear Nic,

I would miss FJ Haydn if restricted to Bach alone, but after those two, I would not struggle at all. I listen to Bach and Haydn with aim, and take the opportunity to listen to the rest as they come - on the radio, on YouTube, or in concert! I enjoy a wide range of music [in the classical style and others] but no longer feel the need to explore it. I used to, and do know quite a large amount of the classical repertoire - for orchestra in particular from my younger days. These days I prefer the chamber group style of Bach's orchestral and concertante music, but most of all enjoy the chamber music and solo instrumental music from these two above all other music these days.

I agree that Bach is really emotionally at least as deep as absolutely any of the officially Romantic period composers. Haydn manages a streak of it too, but joy is his basic mode, with shadows or hints of the real underlying depth.

Best wishes from George

advertisement

Back