advertisement

Bach Cello Suites

lordsummit

A subject I have much interest in as a Viola player, probably some of my favourite music, but recordings I wholeheartedly enjoy are thin on the ground, Starker, Tortelier, Casals, Ma all provide apposite performances, I enjoy them, but in some way I find them also unsatisfying. There’s so much music in these pieces every musician who’s worked on them has their own interpretation. I’ve just been listening though to these:

J S Bach: Suiten Fur Violoncello https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07576S8WY/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

Demenga’s playing is wonderful, he has a wonderful mix of gut stringed graininess, with a more modern sense of musical pointing. I can take issue with the way he divides the double stops sometimes, but overall the phrasing is extraordinary. It could be my go to Bach Cello Suites.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I’ve got the Starker on (now deleted) Mercury SACD and the Fournier on DGG Archiv, and I think I prefer the latter.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I know all the above, they all amaze and frustrate me. Fournier and Rostropovich are two I should have mentioned I guess. I was just blown away by how musical and beautifully phrased and pointed the Demenga was. Well worth a listen if you haven’t heard it.

A bit left field, but as I have Francois Rabbath's Multibass album, I looked for him on Qobuz. This came up. As a double bass fan, I rather like it.
268x0w.jpg

The only other Bach cello suites I have is the Maurice Gendron recording.

Maybe a good idea to post your links using the "link" button (the one that looks like an infinity sign)?

Fournier's set has remained my favorite since I first heard it, though I've not explored too many versions. I've sampled Sung Won Yang's new Decca recording via streaming, and despite the excessively distant sound, it sounds like a slightly updated Fournier. I'm mulling over getting Yang's EMI and Decca recordings to do a shootout with Fournier. I also confess to enjoying Maisky's second recording, despite it's more romantic approach. That's sort of why I like it, I guess.

There's a perfection to Fournier that would put it ahead of the pack, except I prefer more verve.

Last edited:
I also love the Fournier, probably more than any other, including Starker. However I do think the Rostropovich has some amazing qualities too, although a very different recording and performance. His D Minor Prelude has the most grandeur and sublimity of all that I've heard.

I haven't actually listened to the Cello Suites in the last year, so must go back. My Starker boxed set has not had nearly enough play.

I’ll be outed as a heretic, and probably deservedly so, but the legendary Mercury Living Presence recording of the Starker is just too ‘reverby’ for me. I wish it was a little drier and more focused! I haven’t played it for a few years so should really dig it out for a re-evaluation just in case I’m talking guff!

That's why I tend towards the Fournier, which is a much more earthier recording, without the 'reverby' quality you are talking about. On the other hand, the Rostropovich is all air and space, but I love it. My memory of the Starker, purely from a recording point of view, is that it has that reverb but without the sense of grandeur and vastness. Still need to go back to it though. Maybe tomorrow...

I recall hearing Rostropovich playing a couple of the Suites in King's College chapel in the very early 70s. That remained the definitive version, but only as a memory. A few years later I bought the Casals version on LP (recorded in the mid/late 30s) which interpreted the music so well, but was a little short of outright sound quality. Since those days I have bough both Rostropovich and Starker versions. The Starker recording is extremely good, in my view, but I can understand some people's reservations of the recording, but if you want the cellost sitting in front of you and playing just for you...

advertisement

Back