advertisement

Avondale ASR Z Shunt PSU

laverda

pfm Member
On the back of the earlier AA FWB2 thread.

Ive just installed one of these in place of Naim reg in a HiCap. It powering a NAC102. (The switching has its own PSU).

53602767600_f8c15e6eea_k_d.jpg

It's the best PSU for the NAC Naim range of pre amps and probably any other product that uses 24vdc Ive ever heard or that I can remember.

My NAC102 has been under the soldering iron with some Gyrators added on all the circuits. Ive yet to implement the Mr Tibbs earthing mod on this one yet.

53602496518_6fd25dbe65_k_d.jpg

I'm amazed at just how good this 102 now sounds, clarity, 3d imaging and transparency, notes just hang in the air. Brilliant.

Yep, the 102 can be all that.

I did sim for my bro and a close friend over a decade ago; and in both cases, far 'better in the hierarchy' NAC & PSUs went out the door, pronto.

..it's really simple stuff...

Avondale products are always amazingly good.
On the 102, are the mods you did was to add all those little boards and if yes, what brand are they, if I may ask, of course ?

I wouldn't waste my time on a 102, there are likely 100's of pre amps that are much better.
1. I don't disagree, yet..
2. It's just so very easy to take this comparatively-unloved lump of Classic Olive Naim era, and deliver the very-best that architecture can - which can be excellent - for bobbins.

What you end -up with, is a very flexible, multiple--input, remote control pre-amp that will drive /anything/ ... for not very much.

Don't let the idea of 'better' be the enemy of '... really enjoyable'

I notice those gyrators have more than one semiconductor device, a bit more than a single transistor cap multiplier.

What's in front of the transistor cap multiplier?

..likely configured as 'Darlington' as a minimum; or - well-damped Sziklai topology, FTW.

The latter is what I would do/no: have long done , for this kind of thing .

[and - just TBC -I have zero insight, into what Avondale are actually doing here beyond my own ..thoughts; & all power to 'em.]

;)

..likely configured as 'Darlington' as a minimum; or - well-damped Sziklai topology, FTW.

The latter is what I would do/no: have long done , for this kind of thing .

[and - just TBC -I have zero insight, into what Avondale are actually doing here beyond my own ..thoughts; & all power to 'em.]

;)
Martin

So are you a fan of using gyrators in the Naim pre amps. Would you recommend for my NAC 42.5 (when I finally get round to putting it in service)?

I intend to get the Avondale shunt supply board but wondering if it's worthwhile filtering the power supply lines as well?

@laverda It would be great if we could have a picture of your installation Avondale ASR Z Shunt PSU in to a HiCap. I'm thinking about doing this myself.

Many thanks

Chris

Martin

So are you a fan of using gyrators in the Naim pre amps. Would you recommend for my NAC 42.5 (when I finally get round to putting it in service)?

I intend to get the Avondale shunt supply board but wondering if it's worthwhile filtering the power supply lines as well?
Sorry @OzBrit Audio - I missed this earlier.

I've done similar, one 102 with simple gyrators in principle supply rails, one with simply C-R-C, both owners enjoyed the outcome. There were a few other simple things done identically to both also. For myself - while I've long-owned a Nait 2, I don't use a Naim system; only my long-suffering CD2, which is in daily use.
- So I'm happy to just vicariously-enjoy the adventures of others, here : )

For more on these simple low-pass filters - that is all a 'gyrator' is, it is an RC filter with an added pass device to lower it's output impedance to useful levels - see this parallel and current thread, here:

On the back of the earlier AA FWB2 thread.

Ive just installed one of these in place of Naim reg in a HiCap. It powering a NAC102. (The switching has its own PSU).

53602767600_f8c15e6eea_k_d.jpg

It's the best PSU for the NAC Naim range of pre amps and probably any other product that uses 24vdc Ive ever heard or that I can remember.

My NAC102 has been under the soldering iron with some Gyrators added on all the circuits. Ive yet to implement the Mr Tibbs earthing mod on this one yet.

53602496518_6fd25dbe65_k_d.jpg

I'm amazed at just how good this 102 now sounds, clarity, 3d imaging and transparency, notes just hang in the air. Brilliant.
Looks neat as always. Did you change the filter circuits to copy the r/c values in the 82 pre? When I 6-railed my 102 with Andy Weekes' regs the filter mod helped.

advertisement

Back