advertisement

August Hifi News

Robert
I read that review of those speakers (clones) that looked exactly like the audio smile speakers but at 3 times the price and not as good as yours I cant see them selling very many :rolleyes:
Looks like it was was a free punt for Audio Smile IMO ;)
Alan

Yes, we are dead chuffed :)

I understand your viewpoint, but it ignores the basic fact tht hifi magazines are there to support the 'hifi industry' (as they see it), and the SBT is a consumer good, not a piece of hifi sold in hifi shops. I agree it's a shortsighted worldview.

But we've not ignored it. We've all reviewed it, and no review has been anything less than positive about the SBT. I wouldn't have bought one were it not a good device.

Given that a lot of hi-fi stores stock SBTs, Sonos and Cocktail Audios (as well as Meridian-Sooloos, Linn and Naim), I think you might be confusing what you think is happening with what is actually happening. Yes, some are still in the dark ages, some will remain there until the store closes down or someone dies and some cut off their own nose to spite their face and only deal with the hi-fi approved stuff, but most of us are acutely aware the world has changed.

we will carry on just selling gramaphones,black and white tv,s, hardback books, h&e magazines and airfix kits. its the future!

Just a reminder that it was Ken Kessler who started the whole 'anacrophile' thing in Hi Fi News...that has been hughly influential. And. for example, just look at his article recently on the history of SME..even the factory think that pretty definitive.You don't have to like KK (I don't) to see that he has made rather more valuable contributions than some of the flat earthers who inhabit these threads.....

+ 1

Just remembered my favorite KK quote:

'I'd rather listen to Sam & Dave over the phone than Dire Straights live'.

I understand your viewpoint, but it ignores the basic fact tht hifi magazines are there to support the 'hifi industry' (as they see it), and the SBT is a consumer good, not a piece of hifi sold in hifi shops. I agree it's a shortsighted worldview.

Whilst I take your point, how does an SBT differ from the Linn box or aim box or Musical Fideity Box other than price? With the exception of a few functions, the basic purpose of these boxes is the same, so why the rather large price difference and the rather greater prominence of Linn and Naim rather than Logitech? Linn and Naim are HiFi brands and advertise in HiFi magazines. Logitech is an IT brand and doesn't.

Any other correlation?

S.

Hands up anybody who's gone to a dealer, sat through a dem on a product, then gone online to see if they can get it cheaper, or secondhand?

That's why dealers are stocking less and less product. We get what we deserve.

To me that's completely immoral. If I wanted the cheapest price, and I usually do, then I wouldn't dream of asking for a demo. Just unacceptable.

I know it will never fly, but I'm in favour of Dealers charging for demos, refnded against a purchase. Some years ago, I was looking for a new kitchen and I paid IMF £50 for a quote, refundable against a purchase. I didn't buy from them as they didn't do what I wanted, but competely agreed with their point of view.

S.

To me that's completely immoral. If I wanted the cheapest price, and I usually do, then I wouldn't dream of asking for a demo. Just unacceptable.

S.

Seconded...I caught my wife doing this once and she stopped it immediately once I explained how she'd essentially stolen someone's paycheck.

Completely with you on this one, guys.

Sadly, I suspect we are in a minority and how we behave doesn't change the current economics of being a hifi dealer.

Cheers Steve,

The best we can do is bring it to everyone's attention...if it opens one person's eyes it was worth it.

Glad I'm out of the sales field....

regards,

dave

Serge, no that's it entirely, it's a marketing distinction for the manufacturers. There's no functional difference between them - but it sure exists in the minds of Hifi retailers who cannot get an account to stock the SBT and the magazines that those retailers advertise in.

Whilst I take your point, how does an SBT differ from the Linn box or aim box or Musical Fideity Box other than price? With the exception of a few functions, the basic purpose of these boxes is the same, so why the rather large price difference and the rather greater prominence of Linn and Naim rather than Logitech? Linn and Naim are HiFi brands and advertise in HiFi magazines. Logitech is an IT brand and doesn't.

Any other correlation?

S.

I'd be interested to see the numbers for audiophiles using a solution such as SBT or Apple AE relative to say a high end streamer from Linn, Cyrus, Naim or whoever. If what we read in recent months is any indication I think the numbers would be fairly close. That's important IMO as it shows that some of the old prejudices and dare I say snobbery is breaking down.

I'm not saying we want to lower the quality bar, but encouraging people to look rather further than the usual handful of audiophile solutions has to be a good thing.

We're certainly seeing it with loudspeakers in recent years too, with more people prepared to investigate active Pro audio solutions alongside the traditional domestic offerings.

Any other correlation?

S.

The Logitech Transporter is/was hundreds of pounds more than Linn's entry level DS.

advertisement

Back