advertisement

Audio Innovations Valve amps

Ah, I've seen those advertised, but was skeptical of sellers claims that they're a good quality drop-in substitute for the 6B4Gs.

I will check some out.

Thank you,

Craig

Hello again Gents,
Has anybody ever come across (or made) a balanced-to-line convertor?
I'm thinking of moving my AI second Audios off my hifi stand and close to my speakers, and using long interconnects. I tried this ages ago with standard interconnect, and the hum it picked up was a disaster. My pre-amp (Audio note M3 phono) has balanced outs, but the 2nd Audios don't have balanced ins. I'm wondering if I can repeat the exercise, but this time go balanced.
I could get a cheap stereo DI box, but that doesn't seem commensurate to the calibre of the hifi. Does anybody have a view, or some experience of trying this?

As ever, and advice gratefully appreciated.

Craig

I know this is a long shot given the age of the thread, but can I get a circuit diagram for the Audio Innovations Series 400? I have been asked to repair one but I need the schematic to at least identify the valves, which are all unstamped, apart from one of the o/p valves, an EL84. I know there were ECC82, ECC83 and ECC88s in there. The only thing I have found is a diagram of the power amp but splitter and last pre-amp stage are all unidentified.

Time to rise the thread. I need any information about AI Series 400 integrated amp - power? valves?

Last edited:
Hi, I've got an AI 500s converted to triode mode which oscillates (squeals and motorboats) with no source connected and the volume at 3/4 or above. Reducing the volume or connecting any source stops the oscillation. It's Iot the Border Patrol choke input GZ37 power supply and is the version with 3 Ecc83s and two Ecc88s. Output valves are NOS 5881s, which probably are too happy with nearly 400 v on the screens.

This is the first 500 I've come across in triode mode and the first one that oscillates. The circuit diagram shows 51pf caps from grid to ground on the input valve which I've never seen fitted. Trying these and or 1k grid stoppers on the input valve has no effect on the oscillation.

Anyone any thoughts before I investigate further?
Thanks
David

Good evening all!
Last month, I bought my first Valve Amplifier! It is an early Hinchley Transformer AI500.

I bought it from Hi Fi Emporium in Kent. Very helpful and knowledgeable.

It sounds lovely with my Tannoys!

I wanted to say thank you all very much for the information; it influenced my purchase!

Kind regards Stu

Slightly of topic but..... I had a very early Mk1 AI Alto amplifier which I sold to my brother for peanuts then 'upgraded' to a Nait 3. I really wish I kept that Alto it was far more musical and enjoyable to listen to.
My Brother broke the Alto.....

They turn up fairly frequently. All of the black ones are Mk1 and the silver ones without remote control or LEDs indicating the source selected, they're also the Mk1.

Good evening all!
I've recently tried "Tube Rolling" for the first time! Thanks to GJO, I've now installed 2x Voshkod ECC88 (I chose these because of their history and Rocket symbols) and 3x JJ Gold Pin ECC83 Valves.

This was an immediate success! A richer; more detailed sound without the distortion found on certain "Akward" recordings at "Realistic Volume Levels"...

My first Valve Amplifier is bloody amazing !

I have to say there is something really rather magical about Valve Amplifiers... It is overcast and there's on and off rain too.

I've my favourite Rachmaninov playing and the curtains closed enjoying the warm glow of the Valves and the beautifully presented music...

Life is good!

Good evening all!
I've recently tried "Tube Rolling" for the first time! Thanks to GJO, I've now installed 2x Voshkod ECC88 (I chose these because of their history and Rocket symbols) and 3x JJ Gold Pin ECC83 Valves.

This was an immediate success! A richer; more detailed sound without the distortion found on certain "Akward" recordings at "Realistic Volume Levels"...

My first Valve Amplifier is bloody amazing !

6N23P ? There are no actual Russian NOS ECC88's, just the close equivalent 6N23P, but beware of 6N1P being sold as ECC88....

Hello again folks,

have any AI users any experience with capacitor upgrades? I have got Sanyo OScons bypassing the cathodes on the small valves of my AI 2nd audios (the bigger caps are mundorf ZN).

I'm wondering if it's worthwhile replacing the OSCons with Audio Note Kaisei. And maybe their resistors with AN tantalum ones.

Has anyone tried this, and if so, was it worthwhile?

Cheers folks,
Craig

I haven't tried the Kaisei in that application although I hear good reports from people who have. I've generally used Elna Cerafine & Silmic as well as the OsCons & all have been worthwhile over a stock electrolytic.

soyDq2e

Hi all,
I wonder if anyone can shed any light on the tubes in the picture?
They are labeled as an audio innovations ecc83
I got a few of them but cant find info on them anywhere.
Would be nice to know what they really are and what the audio innovations side of the story is.
Cheers in advance
looks like I cant attach a pic but will leave the post in case anyone knows of the valves im speaking about.

imgur.com/soyDq2e

advertisement

Back