advertisement

Audio Innovations Valve amps

hi there all,
the reason why i am writing again is that i just managed to purchase a good 'n ol' S500 from the first series (4-8-16 ohm taps Hinchley transformers, vents around the valves, 3 boards for the phono line and driver circuitry, 470k volume pot). it sounds pretty good, however, i want to get the most out of it. googled the net in the quest as to how but now seems to be pretty scarce info on this. earlier there were dedicated sites for modding the S500 but now they either do not exist or provide nothing just the idea of how worthwile the tweak would be. i found some thoughts at a site regarding modding - here they come:

"Here are some tips on how to tweek this amp - I've done this and a few other things, but you will not get the simple Dynaco phono stage to sound really great... If you have time and patience you can replace it with something slightly more exotic (like Allan Wright's) .

Two main options: a “basic” and an “extreme” one.

BASIC (costing about US $70 in passive components):

1. Replace the EL 34 cathode resistors with Resista type and remove the poor electrolytic capacitors connected in parallel to these resistors, whose function is to partially decouple them and, consequently, to “soften” clipping at high volume levels. The tweak will help reduce sound grain. Clipping will be sharper, but you won’t face the problem at all with sensitive speakers. If you don’t want to remove these capacitors, replace them with high grade audio types such as Elna Cerafine or Nichicon Muse. Just remove them

2. Remove the two input 0.22mF/400V ERO MKT 1813 capacitors. Their only function is to protect the circuit from possible residual AC (EU requirements?). Signal will be cleaner

3. The two generic 100mF/50V cathode electrolytic capacitors in the drive stage should be replaced with Elna Cerafine or Nichicon Muse types. You should extend the tweak to the phono stage, if you use it often. Go for Elna Cerafine if you can find them

4. Decoupling capacitors: the generic 33mF/350V capacitors decoupling the drive and final stages should be replaced with compact radial or snap-in 105°C low ESR types. If you go for 450V then it will sound a bit dark at first - you can also use 47mF caps here...

5. Input selectors: they are quite poor and should be replaced with better types (silver contacts), ensuring great precision for long periods. If the ones you have are good then skip this

6. Volume control: the original potentiometer is of poor quality: a standard ALPS will guarantee a long life with no “scratches”. A good stepped attenuator also work wonders, but good luck fitting it in the small chassis...

EXTREME (add further US $120):

7. Power supply: replace the generic bridge rectifiers with IR Hexfred HFA08TA60C (anode voltage) and Schottky SB 340 soft recovery diodes (driving and phono stage filaments); The Schotty SB340's make a big difference. The Hexfred rectifier can be skipped

8. Coupling capacitors: the AI 500 is equipped with very good ERO MKT 1813 capacitors, among the best sounding in the polyester series. Yet, their replacement with Jensen paper in oil capacitors (aluminium foil) will allow a significant improvement in detail, depth and imaging. The considerable dimensions of paper in oil capacitors make replacement complicated, as it implies a new design in the printed circuit of the stage. Its hard to fit Jensens in the chassis - go for some Russians - they're smaller, much cheaper and sound as nice or better

9. Replace Beyschlag metal film anodic resistors with 2W matching pairs Allen Bradley carbon film resistors. You can go for other brands of quality resistors here, but AB's are cheap and do the trick. Match them well though."

- and some more:

"The AI 500 was designed to use PCC88's. The problem is that the filament voltage for these is 7.6 Volts, not 6.3 as per ECC88, 6922, 6DJ8. If you want to drop 1.3 Volts at 0.3 Amps it means a 4.3 Ohm resistor per at least one Watt. A better way is to bridge rectify it, then a simple pi-filter - capacitor resistor capacitor (CRC) - will drop the voltage to 6.3 Volts; this supply will have less ripple. For the 500 use 200mF cap 47 Ohm power resistor 220mF capacitor.

I presume that the RC networks on the plate of the input tube are for stability. I am not keen on the shared cathode resistors, esp. in the output stage. Would be nice to see a slightly larger resistor on the inverting tube or an adjustment scheme to help in balance.

I changed the coupling caps to Auricaps, and the cathode electrolytics to Blackgates. The sound is truly remarkable. I've compared it to amps in the $3-$5000 range with outstanding results. Before the changes this amps weaknesses were its mushy bass and its inability to remain articulate during complex passages. No longer. Now the bass is tight and textured, imaging is holographic, and the amp is infinitely more musical. My recommendation for somebody who doesn't have the cash to pay for the Borderpatrol(amazing!) is to change the cathode electrolytics to Blackgates."

i wonder what your opinion on this above series of mods is and, also, please advise as to how to triode connect the el34s as i have found no explanation on that.
your input will be much appreciated :)

hi again, i have a kind of urgent question. namely, i wonder if a 250K volume pot can be used in place of a 470K one w/o sound degradation, i wonder?? to note, the question regards my first-series Audio Innovations S500. or is it a solution to solder a pair of 220K e.g. Caddock MK-132 resistors to a 250K pot to mimic the 470K load for the rest of the circuit? if so, is it better to put the resistors in front or behind the pot? many thanks for your help

Sorry for my silly question.

How much did the Audio Innovations (16 ohm tap one) S500 cost when new?

Kind Regards.

999.- GBP in 1987 and 1199.- GBP in 1989, respectively, then came the new manufacturer, SP Wounds - to my best knowledge

not really as compared to others' gears AND the sonics of those as well. don't forget, too, that back then in the '80s was the Golden Era of Hi-Fi with a wealth of makers and products together with a real interest in hi-fi and music, and then money meant something a different thing as well...

999.- GBP in 1987 and 1199.- GBP in 1989, respectively, then came the new manufacturer, SP Wounds - to my best knowledge

To put that in perspective, £1199 in 1989 would be around £2,300 today allowing for RPI increases.

Hi guys !

AI800mk3 ( http://drtube.com/schematics/ai/ai800mk3.gif ) has a trimpot VR1. If i am not mistaken, it is used for AC balance settings. What is a correct way to set up it ?

Thanks,
Leslie

If I recall correctly it was to set up the respective levels of both outputs from the phase splitter. Logic would suggest looking at the grids of each of the pair of output valves and match amplitude there but I seem to recall the test engineers actually adjusting it for minimum distortion at or after the output transformer.

To put that in perspective, £1199 in 1989 would be around £2,300 today allowing for RPI increases.

i honestly reckon the 500's (4/8/16 ohms version) performace is on par with (or even better than) that of the new kids' of that 2K+ rate...

Hi pure sound,

I'm repairing a P2 for a friend, looks like the power transformer is shorted. I've sent a pm for the schematics......

Have yet to figure why the PT blew though....

Fran

A handful of years ago when I had some ESL57s I had the long-term loan of an AI500 with Border Patrol PSU.

It was a superlative match - for Jazz and Orchestral music. The combination lacked the HF energy to make some other genres get up and really boogie (a Nait 2 back-to-back did that much better there, at some considerable cost in refinement). But it would still qualify for my 'desert island' list; sound to bathe in, pleasurably, for days at a time.

I suspect with the rather greater power handling but 'nicer' load, the ESL63 would benefit from the larger amp.

S500 is great with ESL57s (although I preferred a TA2020 Charlize amp that cost about £80) but if you have 63s more power is good. The best I ever heard 63s was with an Audiolab 8000P, although it must be said that the upstream components were quite special. Maybe the BP PSU helps.

The 500 and 700 are quite similar; the former has a phono stage and the latter does not.

Chris - no, not by a long chalk - to my taste. I kept my Impulse H2/DPAs in preference. But the AI500/ESL57 match had a particular warm and smooth balance that was very alluring as a pair and which really suited those genres, and if that was all I listened too, I'd have been happy to stop there.

Hi.
I have an AI 800 power amp serial no.950
800 pre amp serial no.1084
and pre amp psu serial no.10745.
each has faults and i have no service info for them. Could you help with schematics for any or all of them. Also does the serial numbers give any guide as to the age of the units? Many thanks for any help you can offer.

johnweasel

I have schematics for the Mk1 800 Power amp and the 800C Pre-amp. The 800C was based on the same audio circuit as the earlier 800 with psu that you have. The 800C had an (SS) regulated psu and regulated filaments. The original 800 Pre had a couple of 150v glow tubes (OA2s) in series as a shunt reg if memory serves giving 300V DC. Probably the same filament supply circuit.

PM me if you'd like me to email the schematics I have. These are easy amplifiers to work on. David Wright in Littlehampton is a good contact but really any valve tech armed with the diagrams would be able to sort them out.

Your pre-power would have been made between 1984 and 1986.

many apologies, Guy, i AM really stupid, and many thanks for enlighting me: the caps are truly 2200uF ones. it's just been happening w/ me nowadays i dunno why that i see/read something and believe it being true but on second sight/reading it proves to be different... is it my starting to be silly, or am i 'just' ageing? brrrr, feeling worried...
anyway, i will send a mail to you asking for the schematics as i still have your address - and again many thanks :)
finally, take my highest and most honest appreciation for creating the Alto. i reckon few know it here how extremely great this lil' amp is shaming a lot of its today (!) peers even 3-4 times the price. it has been a recent revelation for me as i had had one put aside for years as spare for a time when i might happen to be w/o a 'decent' amp. and as the time has come with my 'serious' amp being recently sold it was dug out and fired - and my jaw dropped in spite the fact that the Alto was meant to only substitute a quite well-established valve amp until i find the big-name successor... what happened is that now my lil' old Alto became THE AMP in my not-at-all-basic system w/ each component costing many times its original price. hats off, man, really, what comes out from this tiny tot is MUSIC in the manner of the best of valves in capitals :)

I've come late to this thread but couldn't agree more with what you say Coltrane. Over the last couple of months I have been looking for a budget amp to drive my Snell K's and have tried an MF A1 and A100 (both nice amps), a Rega Brio (nice amp), a Marantz PM6003 and a heavily modified MingDa 12W SET amp.
I have just bought the Mk1 version of the Alto and can't believe what I have been hearing tbh. This leaves them all for dead, comfortably !
I have also previously owned an AI S500 and S700 and to my ears this is still better than either.
So, I think you did a cracking job with this one Guy (PureSound), I don't think I will be moving it on in a hurry, other than to find a minty one ! Cheers.

advertisement

Back