advertisement

Attempted scam

gassor

There may be more posts after this.
Was selling a REL subwoofer on Gumtree. Got a reply from a woman saying she wanted to buy and send to cousin in Nigeria, but wouldn't be able to come and see it as she is profoundly deaf and in a wheelchair.

She emailed to say she would send a courier to pick it up after putting money in my Paypal account. Thought it could be dodgy so asked twice to speak to buyer on phone but was assured it wasn't possible due to her deafness. Wife checked Google and found a scam whereby people pick up goods and then say they have bought goods didn't receive them and claim payment back from Paypal and they have your goods without payment.

All you are left with is an email address, no delivery address, and a space where the sub sat.

Ah yes, I think that's becoming an established scam and the wise word on the street is to never accept payment via Paypal when the item is being collected in person.

cousin in Nigeria...

Not always a scam though...

space-nigerian-scam.jpg

Poor lad.

You had that letter, too? Was I wrong in sending my account details to the good doctor?

The word 'Nigeria' or, in the case of France, the words 'Cote d'Ivoire', says delete on sight.

Sadly that is a very well established scam and the reason one should never, ever use PayPal in any buyer collects scenario. A friend of mine in That London was scammed in exactly the same way for a plasma TV about 5 years back, i.e. PayPal payment, taxi collection, charge-back, PayPal not interested.

Was selling a REL subwoofer on Gumtree. Got a reply from a woman saying she wanted to buy and send to cousin in Nigeria, but wouldn't be able to come and see it as she is profoundly deaf and in a wheelchair.

She emailed to say she would send a courier to pick it up after putting money in my Paypal account. Thought it could be dodgy so asked twice to speak to buyer on phone but was assured it wasn't possible due to her deafness. Wife checked Google and found a scam whereby people pick up goods and then say they have bought goods didn't receive them and claim payment back from Paypal and they have your goods without payment.

Looks perfectly straight up to me....

So my £1000 I sent to Nigeria to cover currency charges on the £15,000,000 that I'm going to receive via bank transfer may be delayed then? I hope I don't have to pay any more fees. Last week there was a £1000 customs charge. Still at least I have the Paypal that I can draw upon, from when I sold my car.

1 rule and one rule ONLY

If your goods are collected its CASH ON COLLECTION ONLY !!!!

I sold a Luxman SACDP recently and the chap wanted to send a bank transfer before collecting as he didn't want to carry that much cash -- all worked out fine, of course, though I was surprised at his trust.

I just love the Nigerian spaceman stuck up there in secret for years accumulating back pay. How many beers round the table did it take to dream up that scenario. Never mind the scam they could sell the film rights to Hollywood!

advertisement

Back