1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

At long last....the F Type

Discussion in 'off topic' started by canonman, Apr 5, 2012.

1. canonman

canonman Mirror slapper

2. Piksky

Piksky pfm Member

It's things like this that make me really wish I earned a lot more than I do. That's one tasty motor!

3. sq225917

sq225917 situation engineer

In an unsurprising move today Jaguar announced that the new FType will graft a Jaguar snout onto the body work of an Aston Martin. In other news- rain falls downwards.

4. Barrymagrec

Barrymagrec pfm Member

It may or may not be more fun to drive than the original E type but it definitely should be better made - Jaguar build quality in the sixties? dodgy in the extreme.

5. Rack Kit

Rack Kit pfm Member

6. Mr Pig

Mr Pig ^'- -'^

Looks like yet another missed opportunity to me, if those pictures are accurate. Beautiful would be asking a lot, pretty would be nice but instead they're going to build something that looks like an identi-kit Japanese roadster?

7. Dowser

Dowser Learning to bodge again..

Exactly - waste of a great name regurgitating such boring tat...all IMHO of course :)

Richard

8. darrylfunk

darrylfunk Banned

9. afewbeers

afewbeers more sense than money

How the tide turns: the original DB7 was going to be the XJS replacement. Check out the rear window to see the cue from the original E type. Anyway, Ford thought it would be good to revive AM, and were probably right.

I don't see anything inspiring about the F type shape. As I get older I keep expecting to suddenly find Jaguars attractive, but gladly I can't see myself getting tempted. having said that I nearly had a moment of madness a couple of years ago when Stratstones offered me a 3000 mile XKR S at a very good price.

10. wheres vuk

wheres vuk pfm Member

what can you possibly make different in a modurn car?

also, new vw beetle is as long as a pickup truck. everybody is making the cars bigger n bigger.

a Tesla is different. Audi tried diesel race and sports cars briefly. lotus bumrasher.

but petrol cars are mostly samey. everybody has 300 bhp now, nissan n hyundai sedans included.

11. Mr Pig

Mr Pig ^'- -'^

When was the last time tat you saw a new car that you thought was special?

I figure that there are only so many shapes you can make a car and they've already used all the good ones. So now they take what was a good shape and add stuff until it's not good any more. Almost all new cars are too fussy.

And so many look so similar! The other day I caught the tail end of a Ford Focus then realised it was a Hyundi or something. They're almost identical and there are other hatches that look much the same too. The lights in particular.

I reckon there are thousands of designers getting paid a lot of money for being very ordinary.

12. sq225917

sq225917 situation engineer

The last tie m I saw a speacial car was the F-type show car in Birmingham about 10 years ago, when they first showed it coupe with no A pillars. That's the car people want, still.

13. Rcook

Rcook pfm Member

Wrong, especially as they are now separate companies. The styling of the F-type is quite different to any Aston, within the constraints given by the type of car

14. Rcook

Rcook pfm Member

15. Cav

Cav pfm Member

What is new about this? Is it mid-engined?

16. afewbeers

afewbeers more sense than money

Don't know but part of jag design brief will be that it always has room for a set of golf clubs in the boot.

17. hifinutt

hifinutt hifinutt

great to see british engineering producing such fab cars , sat next to an employee on the bus recently and you could see he was brimming with enthusiasm over the cars showing loads of photos of the cars he made !!!

18. Dave J

Dave J Übermember

But it's going to be £50k +! If it were £40k, I'd consider it but it's overpriced. Now a new Boxster, that's worthy of the price.

19. Greg

Greg 2t5b

Do they throw in the blow drier and scissors with the Boxster?

20. Dave J

Dave J Übermember

Why, are they standard with Jagwaar?