advertisement

At last... (Audiolab) - part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.
John/Dominik can you ever see yourselves entering into the digital streaming market?

PC based stripped down and bespoke components geared not for multi room just a dedicated audiophile processor based product which allows the user to pick and choose the software of their choice. No DAC just a quality digital signal :cool:output to interface to the MDAC or DQ
I think that's what this is referring to:
Are you bugging our conversations???? :) we where just talking about this last night....

Early days, but the "transport" will really be a "digital source component", so along with other features we are looking into DLNA streaming.

John
Hint from this (reference to DNLA) is that data (storage) would be elsewhere

Hi guys,
I just received the newsletter from Nottingham superfi, which says they are having an Audiolab open event with the 8000DQ and mdac (mdac from Friday, apparently)- and 20% discount.
Just a heads up for anyone interested.
No connection to them apart from an occasional customer.

Here's the link

Mods: if this is inapropiate in any way, apologies and please remove, I just thought that maybe any local fellow pfm'ers might be interested.

Hi guys,
I just received the newsletter from Nottingham superfi, which says they are having an Audiolab open event with the 8000DQ and mdac (mdac from Friday, apparently)- and 20% discount.
Just a heads up for anyone interested.
No connection to them apart from an occasional customer.

Here's the link

Mods: if this is inapropiate in any way, apologies and please remove, I just thought that maybe any local fellow pfm'ers might be interested.

20% off on MDAC!!!! now thats a deal!!! (If true)... but expect a long backorder waiting time...

I think if id have know that the finish on the front panel on these wasn't going to be the 'brushed' finish like the rest of the range id have gone for the silver now, it does show the finish as 'brushed' on the website, but its obviously got a bead blasted type finish.

Yes my mistake. A hard drive is a storage not network device. My point still stands in that I don't want my storage being part of my hi fi. The original streamers had really small drives and not that scalable. Things like storage will always evolve, get bigger and cheaper. As we know hi from years ago still sounds good. So keeping them seperate is the way I like to go. Totally understand someone wanting the all in one box though

Bare in mind the long term reliability of SSDs is in question, although since its not a desktop workload it might fair much better in these scenarios.

If manufacturer's specs are to be believed, we're talking 1,000,000 hours MTBF. Which is good enough for me.

I think if id have know that the finish on the front panel on these wasn't going to be the 'brushed' finish like the rest of the range id have gone for the silver now, it does show the finish as 'brushed' on the website, but its obviously got a bead blasted type finish.

Yes, I also noticed - the finish is bead blasted - they even have the old silkscreen... I mean how wrong can you be... TOTALLY useless...

Who has that amount of "legally" acquired music backed up? :p

And you can pick up a 1TB HDD for £50 :D

I currently have 120gb of legally acquired music, all FLAC rips of my cds, and a number of 24/96 and 24/192 recordings which I purchased and downloaded (which are even larger than the FLAC rips). I do envisage this doubling in the next 5 years or so.

Additionally I also keep a 256kb mp3 version of everything on the same storage, specifically for the purpose of putting on my portable player.

Its all stored on my Home Server (2x2tb drives mirrored), its backed up externally and is on the netbook so fairly low risk of dataloss.

Sam

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back