1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

At last... (Audiolab) - part VI

Discussion in 'audio' started by Steven Toy, Sep 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnW

JohnW Trade: Lakewest

Hi Al,

1. Yes, "Some" 8200CD's on the production line are fitted with the OLED + Transformer update - however not all markets are ordering the OLED versions due to the slight price increase. OLED versions have a cheap looking "OLED VERSION" label on the carton and rear panel....

2. Is there even an Audiolab distributor in the US? - No idea.

3. Best Guess, after Christmas - for all markets outside of the UK...

John

2. JohnW

Oh - I'm very sorry I missed the chance to meet you - maybe I was locked in the bathroom upgrading PFM'ers CDQ's to OLED version...

John

3. JohnW

Hi Stuart,

I'm Guessing your asking about the "QDAC" - ATM its on hold, to allow production to meet MDAC demand.

In the meantime, we have some ideas that might result in a redesign of the QDAC.

John

4. JohnW

Hi Mark,

The MDAC will work very well with your Denon DVD player :) - (so long as it passes the MDAC's Bit-perfect test).

John

5. JohnW

Indeed, But it says alot when the marketing department in China does not know this... theres only so much Dom and I can help with...

It is indeed Asynchronous USB, but to gain advantage of Asynchronous USB you need a well design and routed Clock distribution (Master Clocks). This unit "Ticks" all the marketing Spec. requirements but lacks any audiophile credentials...

John

6. JohnW

100% Correct!

7. PhilCTTE

PhilCTTE Senior mumbler

Can someone remind me what the QDAC is please ?
    Save me trolling parts III to V

8. Interzone

Interzone pfm Member

Trawling ;)

The QDAC is (was) a half size box as per MDAC with the addition of analogue inputs.

9. sergiox

sergiox pfm Member

Hello Mr. Westlake, in your opinion, what are the cd or dvd transport that works better with the m-dac?
    thank you!
    cheers
    sergio

10. JohnW

Hi Sergiox,

Any Transport that can be Clock-Locked to the MDAC - Old Arcams, Cambridge Audio CDT (Diskmagic), Deltec / DPA.

But these will be hard to find (working) these days, although I understand that DPA will add a "Clock-Lock" board to most CD players for GBP250... But I'm only going by what I hear via the Internet...

Otherwise, any transport that passes MDAC's Bit Perfect test.

We will have a matching "Transport device" within the next 6 months...

John

11. EIffel

EIffel Cereal Killer

:)

We'll soon have the MDAC, its improved power supply/HT passthrough, and a matching transport!

What's missing is a phono unit, and an analog only preamp (all in one) -- Just kidding, although this may not be such a stupid idea if the QDAC doesn't happen

Exciting times!

12. PhilCTTE

PhilCTTE Senior mumbler

haha yes obviously a term I see to often on some of the other threads.

Not sure I'll be able to use the digital pre-amp of either DQ or MDAC in my Marantz AV setup , as I'm bi-amping. It uses FL, SBL and FR, SBR output from the processor to achieve this. Might have to get something built in order to split 2 channel into 4 :confused:

13. Steven Toy

Steven Toy L3 Toy

Hi John,

I am coming round to the idea of buying an MDAC if fitting the Cross output stage to the CDQ is not really feasible.

I will just need a suitable digital interconnect.

14. Steven Toy

Steven Toy L3 Toy

Very interesting, especially if it is half-width and can be accommodated on the same shelf as the MDAC.

15. JohnW

HI PhilCTTE,

With the addition of the MDAC's upgrade PSU (with AV Bypass), I dont see why you could not use the MDAC in your AV System.

With the PSU/AV bypass - you AV system should work exactly as is does now - but with the advantage of higher quality audio in "Two Channel Stereo" Mode.

John

16. arthur

arthur Banned

Lo Steven. I'll let you know what I think of the Mdac's x output compared to a fettled CDQ when I pick it up (soon I hope)

17. JohnW

Hi Steven Toy,

The Transport will be the same size as the MDAC,

John

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.