advertisement

At last... (Audiolab) - part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
????? surely it does everything a normal pre amp does just this works with digital signals rather than analogue signals.

????? surely it does everything a normal pre amp does just this works with digital signals rather than analogue signals.

Pretty much, if you use the 'pre-amp' function then the MDAC is altering the actual analogue output by modifying the signal in the digital domain, essentially before it goes through digital to analogue processing. Inevitably this means some information is lost, especially at low listening levels - whether this is audible I have no idea.

Pretty much, if you use the 'pre-amp' function then the MDAC is altering the actual analogue output by modifying the signal in the digital domain, essentially before it goes through digital to analogue processing. Inevitably this means some information is lost, especially at low listening levels - whether this is audible I have no idea.
...like the Wadia 302 ? I'm still unsure about this. The Audiolab website description of the MDAC functionality is a ball of confusion.

Though it has 32bits to play with for a 16 or 24 bit conversion. I think john mentioned at what attenuation the data stream was affected earlier in the thread.

In my recent experience a digital volume control is more transparent than something like an LDR preamp even at lower volumes.
It's system dependant though, some combos sound better with an active preamp in the chain, some without.

In my recent experience a digital volume control is more transparent than something like an LDR preamp even at lower volumes.
It's system dependant though, some combos sound better with an active preamp in the chain, some without.

I know you found a pre-amp better with the opals but I'm hoping the MDAC will sound good enough through mine for me to not bother with that experiment........

I know you found a pre-amp better with the opals but I'm hoping the MDAC will sound good enough through mine for me to not bother with that experiment........

The Dacmagic sounded fine into them but it showed that the top end is more forward dynamic and less refined than the Matrix Dac (which i would say would be a good match for the Events).
The pre worked really well, amazed by how transparent it really is.
I should hope the MDAC is on another level to both the Matrix and the DM, it better bloody had be! :D

The Dacmagic sounded fine into them but it showed that the top end is more forward dynamic and less refined than the Matrix Dac (which i would say would be a good match for the Events).
The pre worked really well, amazed by how transparent it really is.
I should hope the MDAC is on another level to both the Matrix and the DM, it better bloody had be! :D

I like the matrix into them but it seems to lack a bit of punch that the HDR had (that's probably the wrong word; I'm terrible at describing sound). As I said before I could live with it long term if the headphone out was better.

I have no doubts that the MDAC will be better, even if only due to expectation bias! But hell it will sound better to ME ;)

I like the matrix into them but it seems to lack a bit of punch that the HDR had

Definitely, i dont know its to do with it not being able to drive longer cables of it just got a more laid back sound.
If the MDAC is anything like the EE Dac it will be more solid, dynamic and textured sounding than the Matrix.

Couldn't make the show today. Had to buy a suit for an interview. Still waiting for my mdac shame I couldn't get along to meet john and see one.

With 32 bits to burn on the volume control by the time it's attenuated enough to give an audible loss it's not going to be at a level you can hear.

no it doesn't, stuck your phono (RIAA) pre into it (if you can) and let me know what your hear.

a volume attenuation feature doesn't make a preamp out if it. as long as the inputs can't accept any sorts of sources that are usually considered, a preamp it's not.

this really doesn't matter for me (anymore - as i first hoped i would reduce a box count in case it would have /decent/ analogue inputs) or anyone concerned, i know it's probably bloody brilliant but let's not make out of it something it's not.

With 32 bits to burn on the volume control by the time it's attenuated enough to give an audible loss it's not going to be at a level you can hear.

ditto.

Dude, at least 90% of preamps don't have phono stages. No-one has ever said it really is a pre-amp - there is the alleged Q-DAC and DQ for that. It's a DAC with digital switching and volume; the compares with many preamps that have analogue switching and volume, but is limited to digital devices. What did you really expect?

just a truthful info. plenty of people here kept on saying it has a preamp even after someone gave a clarification after i asked for a precise explanation what it is. someone mentioned switching between "DAC and preamp" mode.

i was a click away from wasting 599 pounds plus shipping based on trust that people here know what a preamp is.

just a truthful info. plenty of people here kept on saying it has a preamp even after someone gave a clarification after i asked for a precise explanation what it is. someone mentioned switching between "DAC and preamp" mode.

i was a click away from wasting 599 pounds plus shipping based on trust that people here know what a preamp is.
no one at any time said the mdac had an analogue preamp - because it doesn't.

For digital inputs it needs no other device between it and a power amp. it is therefore quite clearly a digital preamp. We have clearly pointed out which of the audiolab devices do have analogue inputs as well as the dac

please don't blame others for your lack of understanding, especially when we're trying to help you

Gordon, seems like you don't know the difference between an analogue and a digital pre-amp, everyone else on the thread does.

just in case -

my low level understanding, forgive it you technical types

it takes an analogue input, turns it into a digital signal, and then controls the volume of the digital signal.

the digital signal is then converted (by the DAC) back again into an analogue signal.

So - it's -

Analogue Input
Analogue to Digital Converter
Digital control of volume
Digital to Analogue Converter
Analogue Output

If you're thinking ''doesn't sound like a very purist idea to convert an analogue phono stage output into digital and then back to analogue again" -

You are right, it's not very purist.

Some will say you can't hear this process, some will say, yes you can.

just in case -

my low level understanding, forgive it you technical types

it takes an analogue input, turns it into a digital signal, and then controls the volume of the digital signal.

the digital signal is then converted (by the DAC) back again into an analogue signal.

So - it's -

Analogue Input
Analogue to Digital Converter
Analogue Output

If you're thinking ''doesn't sound like a very purist idea to convert an analogue phono stage output into digital and then back to analogue again" -

You are right, it's not very purist.

Some will say you can't hear this process, some will say, yes you can.

NO NO NO NO

it ONLY takes a DIGITAL SIGNAL

Digital Input
Analogue Output

thanks for helping (as well as for bashing) - if anyone who emphasized it is "a preamp" clearly stated it is "a digital preamp" there wouldn't be any confusion.

now you have bottleneck to explain him what he doesn't know..... :)

It might be worth listening to the Furutech ADL GT40 which has the same functions as the MDAC but also has phono input for £395. WHF also gives it 5 stars but as "Best hybrid device 2011". They do say the phono stage is not quite as good as the DAC headphone output, but it's also £200 less than the MDAC.

Funny WHF put this in its own separate award category. Naim, Bryston, Rega etc. also seem to have been dropped from their web site Best Buy list.

Does anyone have the recent WHF MDAC mini review? I remember the Rega was one of two DAC's that got 5 stars but came second to the MDAC. Was Furutech the other?

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back